Rent Relief for Tenants

dieter1

We have been away for a while and have had tenants in our apartment. They are looking for rent relief and the usual details from us. I have said that I would give them the cash instead of going through the revenue (a tax break in my opinion since i pay so much).

Does anyone have any idea how much they would be entitled to after six months. Their salaries are around the 30k mark each (if that matters). I have been told that relief is a maximum of 300 euro a year. But someone else said 200. Could anyone point me in the right direction. Couldnt find anything on daft or the revenue sites (but I have a slow connection and its difficult to find!)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rent Relieft for Tenants

dieter1 said:
We have been away for a while and have had tenants in our apartment. They are looking for rent relief and the usual details from us. I have said that I would give them the cash instead of going through the revenue
I don't understand - why do you want to give them cash rather than let them claim relief from Revenue? Why do you want to foot the bill by paying them in lieu of the tax relief that they would otherwise claim from Revenue?

(a tax break in my opinion since i pay so much).
How do you consider this a tax break for you? How do you mean that you pay so much (tax?)?

Does anyone have any idea how much they would be entitled to after six months. Their salaries are around the 30k mark each (if that matters). I have been told that relief is a maximum of 300 euro a year. But someone else said 200. Could anyone point me in the right direction. Couldnt find anything on daft or the revenue sites (but I have a slow connection and its difficult to find!)
Rent relief rates are outlined [broken link removed].

We have been away for a while and have had tenants in our apartment. They are looking for rent relief and the usual details from us

those details would be your PPS number.

I have said that I would give them the cash instead of going through the revenue (a tax break in my opinion since i pay so much).

How could you paying cash to a tennant be a tax break,are you trying to avoid tax ?looks like it .

Clubman has posted the link for the rent relief allowances

heres the worst case senario .
down the line they claim the relief anyway , you cant stop them
get in to a big argument , they call PRTB
you are in big trouble

If you give them cash, they could still go and claim rent relief. You are obliged to give them the necessary details to allow them to claim relief, and if you don't, they can go to the Revenue and make a claim anyway, who will then attempt to get the details off you.

Is it really worth the hassle?

We got a first time buyers grant for the property. Should we rent it within the first 5 years, we could have to pay back some of this. We rented it within the first five years.

Thats the main reason.

dieter1 said:
We got a first time buyers grant for the property. Should we rent it within the first 5 years, we could have to pay back some of this. We rented it within the first five years.
Are you sure that the first time buyers grant needs to be returned in this situation? Of more significance might be the fact that you are most likely liable for a clawback of stamp duty on the basis that you seemingly bought as an owner occupier but then rented the property within five years of purchase. Unless you have paid this already you still owe the difference between what you paid in stamp duty on the original purchase (possibly nothing) and what an investor would have paid.

I don't understand what your original query and suggestion that you pay the tenant directly in lieu of rent relief that they are entitled to claim but I have to say that it looks suspiciously like you may be trying to evade tax. Hopefully I'm wrong but if I am correct then you will get no assistance with this here because (a) most people strenuously object to it and (b) nobody in their right mind would recommend tax evasion as a prudent course of action.

CCOVICH said:
If you give them cash, they could still go and claim rent relief. You are obliged to give them the necessary details to allow them to claim relief, and if you don't, they can go to the Revenue and make a claim anyway, who will then attempt to get the details off you.

Is it really worth the hassle?

They don't even need you PPS number either to claim. Just the address of the property and the landlords name.

CPAMG said:
They don't even need you PPS number either to claim. Just the address of the property and the landlords name.

i have the form here and on there it says PPS Number of Landlord

Yes, but they will still process it even if you don't have the PPS number.

Janet said:
Yes, but they will still process it even if you don't have the PPS number.

That true. I applied for rent relief going back two years on two different properties. All I had were the dates I paid rent, the landlords name and the address of the property.

I know one of the landlords was registered but I'm pretty sure the other one wasn't. I wouldn't have claimed on him only he took a weeks rent out of my deposit because I stayed 2 days over the rental dates, even though he had told me this wouldn't be a problem. He left the money on the mantle piece and skipped off for the weekend. I think there are fines of up to 3000 grand now for not been a registered landlord, but I'm not sure.

Moral of the story - Be nice to your tenants (especially if your not registered!)

The other moral of the story? Landlords should meet their statutory obligations and pay their taxes like all other tax compliant citizens.

Back