Rent Book

snowey

If tenants pay rent directly into a bank a/c, then must the landlord provide them with a rent book or issue receipts. Thanks

Yes, the landlord is obliged to provide a rent book - it's a bit archaic, IMHO, but that's what the law stipulates.

If you are a tenant, you will of course need to keep monthly receipts or get an annual receipt from your landlord to claim rent relief, if eligible.

I didn't think it was necessary once there was a contract in place detailing value of monthly payments. If your tenant is paying into your bank account then he/she can retain the bank stamped lodgement form as a receipt.

I've been renting for the last few years this way and nobody seems to be getting upset including the tenant, the PRTB and the department of social welfare(who pay most of the rent)

Hi DonKing,

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 landlords must abide by the following regs:

"Regulations under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 oblige landlords to:

·Comply with the minimum statutory standards which govern the quality and condition of the accommodation, facilities and appliances
·Provide tenants with a rent book containing the prescribed information about the tenancy and rent payments."

I gave rent books to my tenants, but I don't update one of them on a regular basis as that tenant pays by bank transfer.

The above is on the PRTB website.

thanks for that.

I'm not too worried about it. As you mentioned yourself it's a little outdated.
My contract covers everything that the rent book is suppose to contain as detailed on the oasis.gov.ie website.

The only thing I'm not doing is receipting the rent or providing them with a rent statement. At the end of the day the tenant has a receipt for the transfers to my bank account.

I think the powers that be, would now be more concerned with the enforcement of tenancy registration with the PRTB

DonKing said:
thanks for that.

I'm not too worried about it. As you mentioned yourself it's a little outdated.

See below paragraph 2 of a recent order by the PRTB regarding rent book and other issues:

Private Residential Tenancies Board

Determination Order

Ref: DR267/2005
In the matter of Mr X (Applicant Tenant) and Andrew and Ms Y (Respondent Landlords) the Private Residential Tenancies Board, in accordance with section 121 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, determines as follows:

1. The Applicant Tenant shall pay to the Respondent Landlords, within 7 days of the date of issue of this Order, the sum of €550 being rent owing of €880 less €330 for postal expenses and for damages by reason of the breach of the Respondent's duty to allow the Applicant Tenant enjoy peaceful and exclusive occupation of the tenancy of the dwelling at Inishmicatreer, Cross, Co. Mayo.

2. The Respondent Landlords shall provide forthwith a rent book to the Applicant Tenant and comply with the provisions of the Housing (Rent Books) Regulations 1993.

3. The Applicant Tenant shall pay rent to the Respondent Landlords at their dwelling or alternatively at the Applicant Tenant's own postal expense.

4. The Applicant Tenant shall make his own arrangements for refuse disposal and cable TV.

This Order was made by the Private Residential Tenancies Board on 6th January 2006

Delgirl,

Thanks for that.

I still wouldn't bother with a rent book myself, unless my tenant should ask for one. I probably only see her 2/3 times a year. I wouldn't want to be calling frequently to put my initials on her rent book, in case I invade her privacy or right to peaceful occupation of the property.

Just thought you'd like to see that ruling. I've given rent books, but I don't update them - one tenant doesn't know where she put it - she pays by bank transfer - and the other one gets a receipt every month.

I think it's really outdated, particularly in the age of electronic transfers, and may only become an issue if there is a dispute with a tenant and the PRTB ask for the rent book.

I think that if you set out all the relevant details of the contract in writing in the tenancy agreement (as you must do now) then there's no need for a separate rent book as the tenancy agreement will contain all the details that were previously meant to be in the rent book. However, according to the Oasis website the Landlord is obliged to provide receipts for rent within 3 months of receipt.

there's no need for a separate rent book...
According to the PRTB ruling (see previous post), dated 6th January 2006, the landlord must provide the tenant with a rent book.

Delgirl - That post up above seems to have personal information about you and your tenants' circumstances, that you might have overlooked.

RainyDay said:
I've removed the names from Delgirl's post for confidentiality reasons.
Delgirl - That post up above seems to have personal information about you and your tenants' circumstances, that you might have overlooked.
Thanks for your concern - but the ruling doesn't refer to myself or my tenants - it's public information avialable on the PRTB website under Disputes. I just posted it so that other landlords could see that the PRTB are insisting that tenants be given rent books.

Thanks again! :)

DelGirl - I note the report from the PRTB, but I think that once you have a written letting agreement, as required by law, that then becomes your "Rent Book". It will contain all information (and more besides) that previously would have been contained in a rent book. But the landlord still must provide receipts for rent actually paid.

crassus - you could be right, it's possibly a matter of interpretation. I spoke to someone in the PRTB office who deals with disputes and she advises that landlords are obliged to issue rent books in accordance with the Housing (Rent Books) Act 1993.

As I said above, it may only be an issue if a dispute arises, but I've given my tenants rent books anyway in addition to the letting agreement just to be sure.

Back