Rent allowance/ social housing

K

kavanajd

Hi all, I am new to this so apologies if i accidentally break any rules!!
Basically I am 3rd postgraduate student and am looking for housing from dublin city council.
I have seen in previous threads that rent allowance can be given if you are on the housing list, but i have also seen that it may be given to you if you are renting privately for six months?? I didn't know about this and don't really understand it.
Basically I am living in a council house and I am a 23 year old girl sharing a room with her 28 year old brother (not nice!!). I am in college full time studying for a PhD and have currently started my 3rd year, so have approximately 2 more years to go. I really am desperate to move out of home as it's unbearable! But due to a low stipend I recieve from college prvate renting is not really an option for me. My funding runs out in about 8 months, so even if i did consider private renting I can only afford to do this for about 8 months and then I would have no income and would just have to move back home. From reading some posts I have seen that it may be possibel to apply for rent allowance after 6 months of private renting, but i have no idea how this works?? can anyone give me any advice??
I would also appreciate any advice anyone as with regards to dealing with dublin city council, or who I can talk to that can help me with my situation.

Back