Renovation Grants

Bronte

Being unable to properly renovate with sitting tenants I decided to sell and then changed my mind. I got an offer below what I wanted due to my RPZ. So now I'm holding onto it after I realised if I wait 2 years the RPZ no longer applies. But while I was humming and hawing about what to do I decided I'd convert it back into one house. I illegally (yes Leo !) divided it into 2 about 15 years ago +/-.

Due to personal circumstances I'm unable to do the renovation myself, but I've a child ready to learn next year who I'm willing to let at it (@creemegg would be proud) particularly as I got a horrendous quote from a builder. Said builder even threw in an offer himself. During all this (personal and selling other property, plus don't get me started on Covid and the RTB) I discovered the renovation grant. 50K or 70K if derelict.

It's clear to me I can get the 50 K and will be eligible next year as the vacant rule of 2 years will be up then. So I've read this article which is relevant.

Derelict

The house has a badly constructed kitchen extension and shower room. Shower-room is ready to fall in now. Very old. Flat roof needs fixing, walls have damp and we think it's because tenants never opened the window when cooking etc but it could be that the extension walls are not right, probably done in the 70's. I'm changing this from kitchen to bedroom en suite . Would this qualify for derelict or does it have to be the entire building, the rest of it is ok, just needs a lot of work as I'm converting back taking out another kitchen, new-fab shower-room, pulling out a small one upstairs and new plumbing, electrics etc.

- Why if there are thousands of applications have only 3 owners been paid?
- If the incentive is to incentivise why do we keep hearing about this scheme but it's really difficult to actually get the money? Am I missing something?
- One council has a derelict rule, can the councils make up their own rules?
- coincidentally the council inspectors sent me a cc of a letter they sent the tenants about the inspection (tenants are gone) would it be a good idea to get them to inspect and state the place is in a bad way. Would that help? Place is empty more than a year and no heating last winter .....

A lot of chat I have seen is that the rules of the scheme mean that there is a lien put on the title to prevent selling until the prescribed time has elapsed. So a lot of people can't get a mortgage based on this.

Also I thought it was for a PPR, so you had to have sold your existing PPR last time I checked unless this has changed? So I guess the actual population who could apply for these grants is quite low and as it is new and decentralised out to local councils they are not being administered very well.

Yes Mise they changed the rules. I'm not referring to PPR at all. Nor mortgage rules.

To qualify for the grant, you must:
  • have proof of ownership or evidence of active negotiations to buy the property (that is, confirmation of engagement from the estate agent or owner of the property) where you are seeking approval in principle for a grant
  • live in the property as your principal private residence or make it available for rent
  • have proof that the property has been vacant for at least 2 years and that it was built up to and including 2007
Rules changed recently, which is how I found out about it. So here is something on it about the changes in May.

Clawback is mentioned there.

I was already onto my council and printed the documents.

Anyone know which council has a rule about being on the derelict list, as that government link says OR on the derelict list.

How much for me to get an expert to do a report anyone know? Experts who want can PM me. Not Leinster or Ulster unless they can do it without visiting, as in I can do a video cam which I already have.

Anyone know which council has a rule about being on the derelict list, as that government link says OR on the derelict list.

I'd simply email them & ask whichever county your property is in. Get it in writing & be sure to explain that your question is in the context of applying for the renovation grant. Get it in writing from a Council exec. Not an administrator.

For reference the record of derelict properties by county is available online: https://www.dublincity.ie/residenti...ance with the Act,2143 to make an appointment.

just search derelict property register for your county of interest.

Prime Time covered this last night, might be on RTE Player already... Some property owners have even set up a WhatsApp group to update one another on progress, rules etc.

Back