Health Insurance Renewal of VHI Public Plus Care Day to Day

masterboy123

We are a family of 3.
2 Adults: mid-30s and no health issues, and 3 year old child with no health issues.

Our VHI Public Plus Care Day to Day policy is due for renewal end of July.
We pay about €105/month.

Is there a better deal with similar or better health coverage?
Thanks

Hi,

I see you got advice on AAM back in 2022 on this policy and at the time there did not appear to be anything else available at that price for 2 adults and 1 child. Premiums would also appear to have gone up since then.

The Minister has done away with the public hospital in-patient charges but that probably does not change your situation much.

Have you crunched the numbers on the www.hia.ie website to see what else might be available. I think you mentioned last year that your budget was about €100 per month but unfortunately as health insurance goes that is not an awful lot. My own single premium used to be approx. €1,200 and I consider that to be about average semi-private/private hospital cover and basic enough day-to-day.

Hi,

I see you got advice on AAM back in 2022 on this policy and at the time there did not appear to be anything else available at that price for 2 adults and 1 child. Premiums would also appear to have gone up since then.

The Minister has done away with the public hospital in-patient charges but that probably does not change your situation much.

Have you crunched the numbers on the www.hia.ie website to see what else might be available. I think you mentioned last year that your budget was about €100 per month but unfortunately as health insurance goes that is not an awful lot. My own single premium used to be approx. €1,200 and I consider that to be about average semi-private/private hospital cover and basic enough day-to-day.
Thank you for this info. I was not aware that public inpatient charges are scrapped now.
I will have a look now on the hia website.

Is this VHI policy good for anything privately?

Thank you

Hi again,

It does not appear to have cover for private hospitals - see your Table of Benefits here. You were very lucky to get a semi-private room in the public hospital that you received treatment in as you mentioned in your thread last year. Both semi-private and private rooms can have a high demand but that can happen in the private hospitals also.

Your day-to-day cover is basic also but I suppose it is better than nothing :)

You should give VHI a call and get them to explain your cover in detail.

Hi again,

It does not appear to have cover for private hospitals - see your Table of Benefits here. You were very lucky to get a semi-private room in the public hospital that you received treatment in as you mentioned in your thread last year. Both semi-private and private rooms can have a high demand but that can happen in the private hospitals also.

Your day-to-day cover is basic also but I suppose it is better than nothing :)

You should give VHI a call and get them to explain your cover in detail.
Thanks for this.
So I suppose I will be looking at atleast €200 a month for our family to have some of the private health privileges.

This is a recent podcast with Dermot Goode.

Back