Renewal for family of 5

Gabrielle

Hi I'm currently a glohealth policy holder.
It's called Nurture Plus and costs €2520 for 2016/2017 for the 5 of us. (Youngest child was free as under 3, but will have to pay for him this year).
I've just been invited to renew with Irish Life Health as they are now. The quote is €3059.60 for Nurture Plus ILH for the 5 of us.
Im looking for general cover as no health issues.
Our ages would be 40,43, 6,5 &3
Any advice?
Thank you.

Hi Gabrielle,

VHI is best value at the moment for children. The following plans are worth considering for adults with VHI;

1. PMI 44 16; Price 1112pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess per admission 150 or day case.

Half price childrens offer as follows with VHI;
1. One + Plan; price 148per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. 125 per admission or day case in private or hi-tech hospitals.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

A slight tangent but does a child have to have the same plan (or company) as their parents? I'm with Laya and happy enough with our plan. I wouldn't mind getting that VHI plan for the kids to save a few quid.

Hi, I'm also looking at renewal -2 adults on flex 500 explore. Currently kids are all with vhi.
For adults do you think vhi pm I 44 16 is better value than any other plan. Partner May have to have hip surgery this year and id like him to have a good plan.

qwerty5,

No, a child does not have to be on the same plan or company as their parents. However, the only time you can switch to another company is
at renewal date, or within 14 days after renewal date. VHI is the only company that allows children to be insured without an adult.
An adult is just named on the policy but only the children are insured.
Irish Life and Laya allow their own customers to switch to another plan with their company mid year, outside of renewal date.

Snowyb

leanbh,

If the hip surgery is 'hip replacement surgery' well then Laya healthcare plans are the best value for this type of surgery.
There is no shortfall or excess to pay for this type of surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital, for any plan with private hospital cover,
this includes your plan Flex 500 Explore.
The majority of VHI plans including PMI 44 16 cover 80% of the cost of this type of surgery. So the 20% shortfall could cost 2 or 3 thousand
per procedure in a private hospital.

Note; there are changes to the Flex 500 Explore plan since your last renewal date in relation to hi-tech hospital cover for Mater Private and
Blackrock Clinic. Cover for these 2 hi-tech hospitals is restricted to Cardiac and Orthopaedic cover, there is no day case cover in these 2 hospitals,
just Beacon hospital.
If you want to choose a similar alternative plan to your current version of Flex 500 Explore, the following 2 plans are worth considering;
1. Control 600 Connect; price 852pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered as before, excess 600 per
private admission(except hip or knee replacement surgery), no excess or shortfall for this surgery. No day to day cover.

2. Control 450 Connect; price 971pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered as before, excess 450 per
admission( except hip or knee replacement surgery) no excess or shortfall applies. No day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

Alternatively, there are a couple of options which have a lower excess on admission or day case in a hi-tech hospital.
There is also good day to day cover included on these plans.
1. Control 300 Create; price 1146pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered as before. Excess 300 per private admission or 125 per day case. Good day to day cover on this plan.

2. Simply Connect; price 1179pa; all public, private and 3 ho-tech hospitals covered as before. Excess 150 x 2 max per year.
Day case excess 50 per private visit.

[broken link removed]

Two more options worth considering as follows;
1. Control 600 Total; price 971pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 600 per admission, 175 per day case.
Day to day cover included.

2. Simplicity; price 1190pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 100 x 2 max per year,
day case excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover included - first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Note; all of the above alternative options fully cover hip or knee replacement surgery in any public, private or hi-tech hospital with no excess
or shortfall to pay.

Hope this explains everything clearly.

Snowyb

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply! Snowyb you are really helpful. :):):)

Back