Renault Scenic 03 - known problems?

suicra05

My wife has a 03 renault scenic. It has had three sets of coils fitted to it. Two were replaced in warranty, one outside warranty. The rear left shock has been replaced twice in two months. There is only 20,000 mls on car. Is there any place / website you can go to check out known problems on renault cars?

[broken link removed] might be of some interest. And [broken link removed] too.

I've had two Scenics, a 1.6 litre 1998 and currently a 2004. The 1998 was a great car and my mother in law still has it on the road. The 2004 is the 1.4 litre model and I have to say I don't like the way it drives, low power in low gears and doesn't drive like the old one, even though the engine is supposed to be more powerful (even though lower capacity).

A friend of mine has a 2001 model (I think) and has also had coil trouble.

This from Honest John (not too sure what it means)

"Water penetration of the spark plug coil units of petrol engines can them of action. best to replace all four coils, not just one, or it could re-occur with another coil. Sagem units have been modified and have a grey top instead of black. Alternative units from Nippon-Denso are preferable. Units are approx £42.00 each and seem to be off-the-shelf at dealerships. "

Here is more from the same site on Renault

"In June 2001 Renault was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's joint 4th worst out of 22 marques for used car warranty claims. 20th from bottom for reliabilty in Auto Express 2002 reader survey of 100 models"

Personally 40 foot barge poles spring to mind. Go Japanese in future

Murt

[broken link removed]

My friend has a renault megane he bought it new this year from a garage and 2 months later the catalyic converter went in it, does not sound very good to me for a brand new car, so if it happened out of money people will be paying big money to get it fit.

Check out car buyers guide for reviews on cars

Back