Renault Megane 1.4

Helen

Hi,
I had my heart set on a new Renault Megane as I currently have a 01 model and love it so was just going to upgrade to a newer model.
I test drove the car on Saturday and even though I loved the feel of the car inside and love the look of the car, the performance was sooo disappointing. It just crawled around the roads and I found it very frustrating. I subsequently test drove the 1.6 version which was better but still a bit sluggish.
Would love to hear from anyone who has a megane 1.4 or 1.6 to see what you think of them.
Thanks,

my brother had one and it broke his heart, little things going wrong. He has swore never again.

A friend of mine bought one new, and is now on his second replacement from the garage.

A nightmare caused by water leaking into the boot.

Do not buy french cars. They look great - great styling etc...but they really suck!

Gabriel said:
Do not buy french cars. They look great - great styling etc...but they really suck!

That's a bit overly general, isn't it?

Peugeot 206 - one of the best selling small cars in the country. And enormously popular on the 2nd hand market.

Hardly the case if it did "really suck!"

Peugeot make over-rated cars in my opinion.

I'm also basing that from what I've been told by a couple of car dealers (one of whom works in a Peugeot garage) who are friends of mine.

Just because a car sells well doesn't mean it's a good car. The Laguna is a case in point. It's everywhere and it's crap. Lots of people buy cars they like the look of and not necessarily how good they really are.

Gabriel said:
. The Laguna is a case in point. It's everywhere and it's crap.

I drove the diesel version of this up to recently, never had a bother with it really, why do you say they are crap?

Renaults biggest problem is that they dont have a car beyond the laguna for people to upgrade too

contemporary said:
I drove the diesel version of this up to recently, never had a bother with it really, why do you say they are crap?

I'm not the only one who thinks they're bad.

[broken link removed]

A top Dublin car dealer is a close family friend. He offers us good advice on cars...not just come down and I'll fix you up sorta thing. He helped me buy my last car from another dealer.
He just said don't buy one (a Laguna that is).

A friend of mine works for a large software company out near where I work and they recently got rid of a fleet of Laguna's due to their poor reliability. Switched to the Mazda 6 for all their company cars.

Do a google search for Laguna reviews. They all say the same thing.

I'm sure you'll find a few 156 drivers who have reliable cars...but they're the exception rather than the rule.

And just in case anyone's wondering if I have some vested interest in bashing french cars I don't. I work in IT. I just did extensive research into my last car purchase.

Gabriel said:
Just because a car sells well doesn't mean it's a good car.

On the new car market, yes.

But that was why I mentioned the strong market in 2nd hand 206's.

2nd hand market for Lagunas is weak - proving the point about them not being a great car.

Thanks for all your replies, but I'm getting so disheartened! I have had a megane coupe for the last 4 years and loved it so much that I was going to stick with Renault. I also know a few people who are happy with the renaults so have not personally met anyone who has a complaint.
I am one of those people who is buying mainly on the look of the car, but I also like the interior feel. It's just the performance that is putting me off. The dealer said I could take the car for an hour's test drive on Saturday so will give it one last chance then. Otherwise it's either the 1.6 or considering other models.

ronan_d_john said:
On the new car market, yes.

But that was why I mentioned the strong market in 2nd hand 206's.

2nd hand market for Lagunas is weak - proving the point about them not being a great car.

It doesn't look awful I'll admit. Perhaps the 206 isn't too bad. But it doesn't look great either. 19th from bottom in 2002 reliability survey isn't exactly fantastic.
[broken link removed]

I can think of lots of really great cars that have poor second hand values. It does not equate to them being poor cars.
Other cars have badges which is why people buy them. The Golf M4 is a case in point. A good but very overrated car which holds its value extremely well.

Helen said:
Thanks for all your replies, but I'm getting so disheartened! I have had a megane coupe for the last 4 years and loved it so much that I was going to stick with Renault. I also know a few people who are happy with the renaults so have not personally met anyone who has a complaint.
I am one of those people who is buying mainly on the look of the car, but I also like the interior feel. It's just the performance that is putting me off. The dealer said I could take the car for an hour's test drive on Saturday so will give it one last chance then. Otherwise it's either the 1.6 or considering other models.

Helen, styling is important to lots of people when they're buying but if your car handles badly or the performance is shabby it won't matter what it looks like. If you're unsure don't buy.
Have you test drove an MX5 yet?

Take a look around too. Plenty of cars out there that might fit your bill.
Have a look at http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars for some ideas of what you can get & prices etc...

Back