Removing gun barrel pipes

Society

Anyone remove gun barrell pipes from a house and how were the new copper pipes installed ? Mine are buried in concrete on the ground floor. Were they chased in the walls and was replastering required. Roughly how much for new gas boiler and 11 x radiators?
thanks

Do you mean how much for the boiler and the rads AND the piping?? Can't answer your question but parents have gun barrell piping in the house and no one would so much as put a TRV on the radiator.

I had this problem last year. I ended up leaving the gun barrel in the ground, and installing electric rads. If you want to stay with oil fired you could run pipes overground. Chasing and installing new pipes, a big disruptive job.

thanks, yes I think its going to very disruptive but they are over 40 years old and i need a new gas boiler so best to do it all in one go. if I have to replaster some walls so be it.

thanks, yes I think its going to very disruptive but they are over 40 years old and i need a new gas boiler so best to do it all in one go. if I have to replaster some walls so be it.

I did something similar when we bought our home 3yrs ago. I think it was about 10k, including switch to gas from oil. We found it really hard to get reasonable quotations from competent guys. Lots of cowboys out there. I'd lean towards paying a little extra if you can get someone who a friend or neighbour used and was happy with.

Also make sure you install a properly zoned system i.e. upstairs heat, downstairs heat, hot water, with wall stats in the hallway and master bedroom, and TRVs in all rooms except those with wall stats.

Seeing as you're gonna be lifting floorboards and re-plastering walls, what condition is your electrical wiring in? It will obviously add significantly to your costs but might save you going at the walls and floors ever again.

Literally in the middle of this currently as part of a full house renovation. We left all the gun barrell in the floors and routed new pipes by chasing the walls. We have installed three vertical rads, 1 tower rail, 14 regular radiators, relocated new combi boiler to the attic and two new shower systems. we had planned to re plaster the walls and get a rewire done anyway so this was the most convenient approach. The plumbing alone was in the region of 15k but we did upgrade to fancier radiators and smart home accesories where possible. Also locating the boiler in the attic added extra expense as additional parts are required over a standard installation.

As a matter of interest did you have to chase the downstairs only and route the pipes from upstairs down. If it was only replastering a few walls downstairs it would be ok.

Thanks that’s very helpful
Hi, did you do it in the end? I think I will have to go through it as well and would be interested to get feedback. Curious also to know if it is more noisy with the pipes in the wall? Thanks

Not yet...will probably do as part of a full renovation on ground floor so new copper pipes installed probably between insulation and new walls whatever is easiest

I did something similar when we bought our home 3yrs ago. I think it was about 10k, including switch to gas from oil. We found it really hard to get reasonable quotations from competent guys. Lots of cowboys out there. I'd lean towards paying a little extra if you can get someone who a friend or neighbour used and was happy with.

Also make sure you install a properly zoned system i.e. upstairs heat, downstairs heat, hot water, with wall stats in the hallway and master bedroom, and TRVs in all rooms except those with wall stats.

Seeing as you're gonna be lifting floorboards and re-plastering walls, what condition is your electrical wiring in? It will obviously add significantly to your costs but might save you going at the walls and floors ever again.
I know this is an old enough thread but just found out my house has gun barrel..if I was to get down stairs done first would I have to move out, how long does it take for them to do?????

I know this is an old enough thread but just found out my house has gun barrel..if I was to get down stairs done first would I have to move out, how long does it take for them to do?????
Depending on the size of the job anywhere from 3 days - 10 days would be my guess.it really depends on a number of factors though

As above, only by inspecting the property could you give a more accurate answer. A lot will depend on how difficult it would be to route new pipes and the disruption involved to flooring / fittings. A bungalow would be a simpler job than a two-story where upstairs floors will have to be lifted for example.

If you are getting someone to do it, might be best get the entire house done in one go. It would be more expensive to do it in two phases.

Back