Remortgage for home improvements.

Happyfridays

Hi. My Wife and I are thinking about a remortgage so we can convert the attic. We owe €70k on a house worth aprox €180k. We have 9 years left on variable With EBS. We want to borrow €20k for the renovation. I have full time secure work and my wife is back in college. She is starting her final year in sept. We have 3 young kids and we are in our early 40s

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not really sure what advice you're looking for?
Surely you just ask EBS if they will lend you the €20K?
If you have savings then you should seriously question the need to borrow versus using the savings.
If you do borrow then borrowing at a lower rate and over the shortest period feasible reduces the total cost of credit.

Regardless of any additional borrowing...
Are you getting the best deal on your mortgage generally - e.g. what rate are you on?
Could you save by switching or at least negotiating a lower rate?

Ultimately I think you'd probably need to give more detailed info about your overall financial situation for people to give further advice.
I think that there's a template/form somewhere on the site but it's basically like an SFS - e.g. like this one from PTSB which I like because it's an excel spreadsheet that can be filled in, tweaked, saved etc.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/about-u...-loan-mortgages/standard-financial-statement/

Back