Regular Saver a/c's or Deposit a/c

I have a regular saving a/c with Halifax where I’m getting 5%. (It the product they had before uping the rate to 7%)

At the moment I have 16000 euro in this a/c. I’ve reduced what I’m paying in down to 10 euro from a high of 750 euro, as I started paying 300 euro into the AIB’s 7% a/c and 1000 euro in Anglo’s regular saver. I just pay the 10 euro to keep within Halifax’s t&c’s on the account.

I also have 10000 euro in a Rabo’s a/c at 5%

1)I was wondering would I be better to move the whole 16000 to the Anglo Irish 30 day notice account and get 4.5% or NR’s online a/c.
Well 5% is more than 4.5% so not for the rate alone.
2) Or should I drip feed the 16000 into FA’s new 7.15 % regular saver a/c and Halifax’s 7% regular saver a/c.
Whatever it takes to get the best deposit rate will yield the highest deposit returns.
3) Also will I lose anything by taking the money out of the Halifax a/c. I started this in March 2006.
Check the terms & conditions of the account.

There are lots of existing threads on how to get the best deposit returns through various combinations of lump sum demand or notice and regular saver deposit accounts.

Yes - compare the CAR. The higher the CAR on any account (lump sum or regular saver etc.) the higher the returns.

However remember that 12 monthly contributions of €1K at 7% does not mean €12K x 7% = €840 gross (€672 net of DIRT) interest since each contribution is not on deposit for the initial full year. 12 montly contributions of €1K would actually yield €450.29 gross (€360.23) as you build up the €12K lump sum in the first year. (See this calculator although some people havd had problems getting it working). People sometimes miss this when looking at the headline rate for a regular saver account.

Regular Saver - 1000 a month for a year @ 7% gives me 450.29 interest
Yes - that's what I said earlier.
Anglo's deposit(30 day notice) - 12000 for 1 year @4.5% gives me 552.30.
Yes - but combining the two will yield higher returns than just using the Anglo one. The comparison doesn't make sense because either you don't have the €12K up front in which case you cannot choose the second option or you do in which case the first example assumes that the money is earning 0% while you wait to drip feed it each month! Holding a lump sum in a high yielding lump sum account (e.g. Anglo here - but you can do better than that rate) and then drip feeding it into a c. 7% regular saver will yield the best returns overall. As I said before this is discussed at length in several other threads.

Back