Refuse Collection in Apartment Block

paul24

Can I find out what is currently the situation with refuse collection in apartment blocks. In our small complex in Kildare we have 2 x1100 Litre bins that we share. One owner wants to have their own 240 litre bin and recycling bin to help to do their bit for the environment but the problem is that this owner will buy their own tags and as such will try and opt out of the refuse collection portion of the managment fee.

They have proposed that every owner be provided with a 240 Litre bins and purchase their own tags. My only concern is that tenants will start putting refuse in other peoples bins in order to avoid having to put out and pay for their own bins. The bins are now proposed to be located beside the apartments so we will have a problem of people not putting bins out and again the possibility of misuse if their own bin is overflowing.

I am nervous that this while being environmentally the correct solution will lead to more hardship with squabling neighbours in relation to the pay by weight/use system.

My apartment block in Dublin recently acquired 4 huge green recycling bins, to go alongside the 8 huge steel bins. I reckon if you contacted Kildare County Council they'd be able to recommend a supplier of large recycling bins, thus enabling your neighbour do their bit for the environment while still maintaining the communal system of paying for refuse collection.

It has definitely had an impact in my complex - the green bins fill up quickly, with the result that the general bins are never more than 2/3 full when collected, as opposed to overflowing each week before the recycling bins were introduced.

apt blocks are not suitable places for loads of wheelie bins. if they press the point, you could suggest that they could do it provided the wheelie bins are keft inside their apartment at all times other than when they are being collected so as not to cause an eyesore. they might then reconsider

There may well be covenants in your lease regarding where refuse bins can be etc so have a check of your lease too.

Depending how big you complex is it could get really messy - imagine the refuse collectors if they had to deal with 50 + wheelie bins. Would the council even give them to you ? We have a couple of huge greens recycling bins where I am - not sure how we got them or if someone requested them. They only appeared last week - your bins could be on their way?

Back