Refund for GP Visits & Prescriptions?

Dudley

Hi,

In the past year I have had quite a number of visits to my GP as well as paying out a lot in relation to prescriptions.
My question is would I be entitled to any type of a refund for the GP visits or the prescriptions?.
I have been paying PRSI in Ireland since 1997 and I am with VHI.

Thanks
D

You can claim as well for expenses like GP visits which are for instance only for 50 % covered by your health insurer.

Surely this is dependant on the type of cover maintained with health insurers. Not aware of 50% cover with VHI for GP visits. They do provide some [broken link removed].

If your prescription costs are ongoing, apply for a Drugs Payment Scheme card from the HSE - you should only have to pay a max of €85 per month (includes all members of the family). The pharmacy may have application forms, or check at the local health centre.

Thanks for your replies. I will look in to those.
Just to answer your question Mynydd - no I do not already claim tax relief for medical expenses.

D

Surely this is dependant on the type of cover maintained with health insurers. Not aware of 50% cover with VHI for GP visits. They do provide some [broken link removed].
Yes - it depends on your health insurance. For example some VHI policies refund €20 or €30 per GP visit less an annual €1 excess. Obviously you can only claim tax relief on qualifying medical/dental expenses above the relevant limit that have not otherwise been reimbursed (e.g. by private health insurance).

You should be at least looking at claiming any tax relief on medical/dental expenses to which you are entitled. See here.

[broken link removed]

As far as I know the €125/€250 "excess" has been abolished in Budget 2007 with effect from the 2007 tax year - but this is not mentioned in the above FAQ.

Pull together all your medical receipts (for all years - everything!).
The first €125 per person, per year does not qualify for relief but if you exceed that limit then attach the receipts to a Med 1 form that you can download from:

[broken link removed]

You'll need one form per year

Revenue will process the receipts and will inform you which (if any) you're not entitled to claim.

Also check your VHI cover - You could be entitled to claim €30 for each GP visit from VHI.

Good luck

You're right but I've sent in receipts before and the revenue have processed them and they told me which expenses I was not entitled to. If you don't send in the receipts then you need to hold on to them for 6 years

hi regarding revenue and health expenses
i went into the tax office with all my r eceipts for health expenses and the person there did'nt take them off me at all or copy them > just asked me to fill out the form in front of her ! so i guess it seems to depend on the revenue officer u get

Hi Dudley,

I was wondering how you got on with getting your refund. I have had a few visits myself to the Doctor but maybe not enough to make it worth my while looking for a refund.

Did you get your refund and was it worth the effort ?

Yes - it depends on your health insurance. For As far as I know the €125/€250 "excess" has been abolished in Budget 2007 with effect from the 2007 tax year - but this is not mentioned in the above FAQ.

Sunday Times yesterday had an article that stated the €127 was the excess this year but abolished from next year. Previously you claimed tax relief for vhi etc the following year ( like the current bin charges) and not in the current year. Maybe something similar with expenses?

Sunday Times yesterday had an article that stated the €127 was the excess this year but abolished from next year.
That is wrong on two counts - it was never €127 and it has been abolished for claims in respect of the 2007 tax year.

As far as I know the €125/€250 "excess" has been abolished in Budget 2007 with effect from the 2007 tax year - but this is not mentioned in the above FAQ.
http://www.finance.gov.ie/Viewprnt.asp?DocID=4594&CatID=1&m=n&StartDate=01+January+2007

Hadn't come across that before. Cheers for the heads up CM.