Refund for broken iPhone case?

pingin

About six weeks ago I bought a new €30 case for my iPhone from Pair Mobile on Wicklow Street, Dublin. Last week the thin plastic edge below the home button split. Just yesterday a large chunk of plastic around one of the speakers fell off.

Am I entitled to a refund/replacement or would I have to prove that I hadn't accidentally broken the case?

Yes, you should be entitled to a repair, replacement, or refund (at the shops discretion) provided there are no signs of abuse. Should you get a repair or replacement, the same issue should not reoccur, if it does you should be able to make a strong case for a refund.

Thanks for that Leo. I'll bring it in at the weekend and see what they say.

I think it depends on the purpose of the case. Is it merely decorative? Is it meant to protect the phone from scratches? Is it meant to protect the phone from falls / drops, like for example the Otter Box? Did you accidentally drop the phone, sit on it or otherwise subject the phone or case to stresses they were not designed for.?

I wouldn't be one for decorative cases! It's purely for protecting the phone. I've never dropped the phone or handled it roughly. I always keep it in my trouser pocket. The end of the case that broke looks somewhat flimsy.

Brought the case back to the Pair shop on Saturday. There were two bored young assistants behind the counter. At first they said that it was shop policy not to give refunds. There's a notice to that effect on the counter. I could get a credit and buy another case. Then they changed their minds and said they'd have to speak to the manager. The manager wasn't there, so one of them had to message her. I stood there while she slowly typed the message. The reply came back from the manager that I couldn't get a credit as they didn't know whether I had dropped the case or damaged it myself. I assured them that I hadn't damaged it. I asked to speak to the manager but they said she's only there during weekdays. That's no good to me because I'm at work. So I'm left with a broken case that I spent €30 on and I don't seem to have a comeback.

The good news is that I got a refund last week! I did a bit of research on the company and wrote to one of the directors at headquarters, including copies of all the previous correspondence. He didn't reply but a few days later I received an email from an area manager. He said that, having reviewed the situation, I could call into the shop and get a full refund. He would update them on the situation. The woman in the shop couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant and processed the transaction immediately.

Just goes to show that it pays to be persistent and to go to the top if you don't get satisfaction at the local level. I would normally have let something like this slip and would have lost €30. Don't think I'll be shopping in Pair Mobile any more.

Back