Refinancing Credit Card Debt

S

sheilab

My wife and I currently have large credit card debts (approx 40K) which is obviously proving expensive to service never mind repay. We have two good salaries, own our own home and also a rental property. Our combined outstanding mortgage on the two properties is 300K and they have a combined value in excess of 800K.
1. Would our mortgage company be likely to extend a top up mortgage of 40k to allow us clear the more expensive credit card debt ?
2. Are we likely to have to say the new loan is for something other than paying off credit cards eg home improvements ?
3. Will the mortgage company be interested in advancing a top up mortgage over say 5 years or will we be compelled to take the loan over the remaining life of the mortage ?

Apologies if this sounds repetitive or is stating the obvious but have you read up on the other similar threads and key topics (pinned at the top of this forum) about dealing with debts etc. as they contain a wealth of information that will be of use to you. Whatever about dealing with the existing debts you should obviously consider getting rid of the credit cards altogether given that you have such problems managing them.

it might sound silly but a prepaid credit card might do the trick if you get around to clearing your credit card debt. they are available over the net. they look like a credit card and can be used like a credit card, ie at atm machines, over the net, over the phone and at pos terminals but they have no credit limit. you have to lodge funds to it and that will be your limit. it is like a laser card but works on the visa or mastercard platform. they are way better than the 3v voucher. at least it is an actual plastic card that you can hold in your hand.

Alex.

With €40K in CC debts I reckon it's more a case of addressing the underlying spending habits/problems and living within the available means rather than looking for another payment mechanism to substitute for the existing CCs.

don't get me wrong, i do know that. i am talking about doing that at a later stage as to avoid further debts of 40k. credit cards can be dangerous hence the debt of 40k. prepaid cards are safer. i know as i have a prepaid card myself. it's just a bit of advice.

Alex.

Back