Refinancing After Self Build

cruchan09

This is complicated, but here goes........I have just completed a self build with a mortgage of €282k. I have however run up debts of €100,000 in doing the final finish on the house, mostly in the form of credit cards and overdraft. I was hoping to refinance the whole lot together to give a total mortgage of €382k, which would represent 90% of the house value based on the value given by two local (Carlow) estate agents. My current lender (IIB) however is using a valuer who consistently underestimates the value of the house, by over €100k when compared to the two other local estate agents. In fact, it is just one particular valuer in this firm (who is the owner) who keeps doing this, the other valuers in the firm give a higher valuation (I have checked with them). This individual has actually given a lower valuation for the finished house than he gave when he inspected the plans and site for the initial mortgage application – a value of €300k for a 2,500 sqft house on 1.2 acres 50 miles from Dublin is his current figure. My bank however refuses to allow any other valuer to inspect the property and based on his valuations have refused to refinance the amount I need. Does anybody out there know of a bank that will offer suitable refinancing? I have checked with BOI and they will only go to 80% LTV, I need to go to about 90%. I work in the public sector and earn €75k and my wife earns €30k, so I don’t think that meeting the salary requirements will be an issue. I am desperate for help here as my creditors are getting restless. Thanks.

Unless you can find another valuer from IIBs panel to value the house at the amount you require, you should look at moving to another lender. There is a few lenders offering free switchers at the minute but because you are looking for a LTV of 90%, you may not qualify. Generally the max LTV for refinance is 80% - 85%, although some will stretch to 90% and afaik BOS will lend up to 95%.

Spoke to BOS and they are happy to go to 95% LTV for refinancing, and they use a different valuer - problem solved. Thanks a million for the help.

Back