Refinance/investment

J

johnboy

Hello I have a morgage on a house I am living in right now. I have also a credit union loan of 60000K. So as you can imagine I need to get rid of this as soon as possible.

So if I refinance this loan and put it under the morgage account are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Do I need to be aware of any tax implications and if I do please let me know what they are?

In two years time I may be moving out of this house and into another house so the house with the morgage will become an investment property. It will be five years since I bought it so it will be okay tax wise to chage the purpose.
I think?
Thank you all for you time and expertise

If you refinance the Credit Union loan with your mortgage, you should still keep up the same level of repayments (rather than the required mortgage payment) to clear the loans sooner or you will end up paying interest on the CU loan over the life time of the mortgage which will cost you more in the long run and may not make sense (depending on what you are using those funds for). If CU loan was not used for the purchase/repair of your PPR you will not be entitled to interest relief for that portion of interest change. I'll defer the change of use question to someone else...

Back