Redundancy - Tax Treatment

C

Culchie2004

Hi,

There's the possibility of our company having a significant reduction in jobs due to a necessary restructure to cope with current and future market conditions.... so there will probably be a voluntary redundancy package on offer to employees of over 5 years service.

The way these things normally work is that even though it is 'voluntary', I'd imagine the powers that be have a preferred list of people they would like applied.

I don't think I am one of these people, I'm reasonably young, 6.5 years service, and would not be on big money compared to some, and I'm not 'dead wood' (clinically cold speak I know).

The thing is, it would appeal to me, as would provide a nice lump sum to get out of Dublin and set up home etc... elsewhere.

It is rumoured that 9 weeks per year is the package to be offered, which I know is very generous, and I just wanted to know what would the tax treatment of this be, and what else should I take into consideration before deciding to apply or not.

The other conundrum is that if i apply, do I 'burn my bridges' with the company if not accepted.... as i said I'm not one of the big earners, and would have a good reputation internally, so I could benefit from the impending organisation restructure.

Some people would say not to look a gift horse in the mouth and go for it, it's not every day you can get a lump sum like that, others would say it will be hard to find the type of work I'm involved in around 'home', in the West of Ireland.

Any advice very welcome.

Regarding tax, you have a choice to take a tax free amount of around 10k but forfeit your ability to have a lump sum paid from your pension on day of retirement.
The other conundrum is that if i apply, do I 'burn my bridges' with the company if not accepted.... as i said I'm not one of the big earners, and would have a good reputation internally, so I could benefit from the impending organisation restructure.
On the contrary, I would suggest it to be a bargaining tool if they decide to reject your application as they would have to ask why you made such a decision. This would give you a chance to air your views. I know that's what happened in our company a few years ago.

Back