Recording Share Portfolio

nickjohn

At the risk of sounding like Pee Flynn (only for the more mature readers!), here is my "problem":

I get shares in a publicly listed company and have been for 25 years. For simplicity purposes, I get 1000 shares each year so therefore my holding is 25,000. Each year the purchase price is different. On occasion I sell shares in small tranches, for example, 200 or 1500. My questions are as follows:

I have been using Excel to try and record transactions from a tax perspective but it is getting very cumbersome. For example, each sale may have different purchase price amounts within the batch. CGT calculation is (slightly) tricky but how the overall share portfolio is deceasing is difficult to track.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone know of an Excel template that will elegantly record the scenarios above?
2. Is there a software package that will do this task?
3. When it comes to calculating CGT, when I go to sell, is it assumed that I am selling the earliest batch first and then working forward from there as I sell more?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I used ADVFN for this in the past, a free account there will allow you track buys/sells etc and as you have a price feed there it can be handy to see the value of your portfolio also. The problem with a site like this, or a software package, is will it still be around in 25 years or even 5. Google had a nice solution as well, but they shut it down a few years ago, I can imagine ADVFN going the same way.

Excel files on the other hand will almost certainly still be readable in 5, 10 even 25 years time. I cannot answer your other queries, but for the timeline you’re thinking I would stay with Excel!

At the risk of sounding like Pee Flynn (only for the more mature readers!), here is my "problem":

I get shares in a publicly listed company and have been for 25 years. For simplicity purposes, I get 1000 shares each year so therefore my holding is 25,000. Each year the purchase price is different. On occasion I sell shares in small tranches, for example, 200 or 1500. My questions are as follows:

I have been using Excel to try and record transactions from a tax perspective but it is getting very cumbersome. For example, each sale may have different purchase price amounts within the batch. CGT calculation is (slightly) tricky but how the overall share portfolio is deceasing is difficult to track.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone know of an Excel template that will elegantly record the scenarios above?
2. Is there a software package that will do this task?
3. When it comes to calculating CGT, when I go to sell, is it assumed that I am selling the earliest batch first and then working forward from there as I sell more?

Appreciate any thoughts.

You could give https://www.sharesight.com/ a look. Given you are talking about a single stock it should be free (up to 10 holdings free). You might need to test it out to see if it captures tax lots and capital gains correctly

Back