Recommendations on MPV 6 0r 7 seater

Jack Frost

Hello All,

I am in the market for a new MPV to ferry the clan around. I need 3 rows of seats, I have about 30K to spend. I have been thinkin about the follwing models and I would very much welcome peoples views and comments as regards reliability etc.

The models i have been looking at are VW Sharran (second Hand), Renault scenic 7seater, ford Galaxy and Hyundai Trajet.

Its a bit of a minefield out there in this sector and there seems to be new models released every other month.

Jack

Jack, for €30k I'd guess you're probably looking at an 12/18-month-old model, or a bit older for a diesel - which I'd recommend, but it depends on your usage...

I notice you haven't mentioned more economical half-way-house 'mini/compact-MPV's like the Zafira or Spacewagon, so I assume you're looking for growing room?

The Trajet is well cheaper new than the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra (which are all basically the same car - well, identical engine, anyway - just with a different badge on the front). I drive the latter, a 1.9TDi '01 model bought in '03, and which I hope, treated right, will drive until it drops, or until I no longer require a 7-seater! I found then that the Seat Alhambra was a good bit cheaper than its Ford/VW cousins, presumably for brand-prestige reasons, although in fact it's arguably better value in terms of finish, and certain bells-and-whistles coming as standard, whereas they're 'extras' on the Sharan/Galaxy...

Ours has had a good old hammering since we've had it and, although inside it's a pigsty, it's never given a moment's trouble, it's a pleasure to drive, and it's very easy on juice. I hear the same from the (few) people I know with a Galaxy/Sharan.

To come back to the Trajet - the main reasons I rejected it in favour of the Alhambra were
(a) I just couldn't find a suitable diesel model at the time (only brought in in 2002)
(b) it's a bit bigger inside, but it's also quite a lot bigger outside. Ask any taxi driver, they love the Trajets! But these buses can be a pig to park/negotiate through narrow gateposts, and the Trajet is a good 4" or 5" longer/wider/higher than the 'Sharambralaxy'. Also, I'd have to say that the overall finish/'feel' inside is very functional and 'plasticky' compared to the rivals.

So - it all depends on your plans/priorities! Whichever of the four options you go for, they're all solid, reliable workhorses, and a much more sensible option than the higher-priced, gas-guzzling SUV/mini-Jeep alternatives - but seriously uncool, once your kids reach the teen years...

Thanks very much for your in depth comparrision, between the various makes. I had a look at the opel zafira all right but as you said it is a little on the small side.

Atthis stage I am leaning towards thje Trajet, simply cos it is cheaper by about 5k i think. I will probably stick with the petrol, cos I only put up about 9 or 10 k a year. although a friend of mine bought a demo model Sharan in NOI VW main dealer recently 3,000 on clock. He reckons he saved a fair bit even after paying the VRT etc.. so I may explore up North aw well.

Thanks again Doc for the advice.

Jack

We have a 2.0 glx ford galaxy and space wise they are unbeatable. We have twice hired Zafira's on hols and there is no comparison between them and the full size MPVs. OK you will do 0 to 60 faster in a mini MPV ( ie it drives more like a car) but your nippers won't be near as content with the tighter space. The only drawback with the petrol engine is it is a thirsty beast and even with small mileage ( about 10k pa ) it is very heavy on petrol. We intend getting a 1.9 TD next year.

Cheers Jack, you're welcome.

One other running cost worth mentioning - for all MPVs - is tyres. They're heavy beasts, as demoivre has mentioned, and you may notice that you need to replace them more regularly, the front ones especially. Of course, as with fuel consumption, a lot depends on your driving/braking style..!

If you're spending €30k, yes, it's probably worthwhile casting an eye around North of the border. And if you're buying for straight cash (rather than a trade-in) you should definitely try and knock the seller down a grand or more...;)

Forgot to mention that I got a quote for a new Galaxy from this crowd a few months ago [broken link removed] and it came in at €33955 while the Autofinder ( ) list price was €36935 , almost 3 grand dearer! That was comparing like with like too so it might be worth checking out. I don't have anything to do with the internet car company and haven't fully researched them - just sharing my bona fide experiences with you guys. :)

Thanks for the assistance folks, I have to say Doc I agree with u about the gas guzling status symbols that are SUVs. Fine if ur a builder or farmer, but for a run around, I dont think so..

Im going to see if I can pick up either a new trajet or nearly new galaxy/Seat or Sharan

Thanks again

Jack

Back