Recommendations for €40-€50,000 3 litre+ Car

landlord

I am considering buying the 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi turbo Quattro.
I am not looking to purchase this till early 2021. I might be crazy looking at this now, however I need a goal to motivate me to save for it or something similar. I am hoping it would have depreciated approx 50% by then as well. I don’t believe in taking out credit to purchase cars so I would rather save in advance.
Currently driving a 2009 Audi A5 coupe 3L TDI Quatro. This is my first ever Audi and to be honest I love it.

I would consider other similar 4 seater powerful sports cars too, however as
I would probably import it from the UK I would be conscious of CO2 emissions in regard to 1. VRT and 2. Irish road tax.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Honest John isn't a fan of the diesel / triptronic.

The current A7 model was just released last month, so there's a good chance a new model might be on the way by 2021, which may help lower the resale value of 2018 models. With diesel sales down 40% in the UK, and bans coming into effect in various cities around Europe, you might get one for a deeper than 50% discount.

Honest John isn't a fan of the diesel / triptronic.

The current A7 model was just released last month, so there's a good chance a new model might be on the way by 2021, which may help lower the resale value of 2018 models. With diesel sales down 40% in the UK, and bans coming into effect in various cities around Europe, you might get one for a deeper than 50% discount.

wont be a new model just a facelift, audi got 7-8 years out of the last one.

id be looking at the bmw 640 and Porsche Panamera in that company.

wont be a new model just a facelift, audi got 7-8 years out of the last one.

id be looking at the bmw 640 and Porsche Panamera in that company.

Does the Porsche Panamera come in a diesel ? If it’s a petrol only the CO2 emissions I would imagine would be extremely high so the VRT for importing it and the Irish road tax would be extortionate.

Will take a look at the BMWs

Porsche have stopped all diesel Panameras,Macans,and Cayennes since2017.They are going all in on hybrid and fully electric.

€50k would get you a nice Tesla Model S. No worry about emissions, more power than the A7, similar size, auto-pilot and all that good stuff.

2019 Mercedes CLS is a beauitiful looking car but would probably need to get AMG spec for performance you want.

I am considering buying the 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi turbo Quattro.
I am not looking to purchase this till early 2021. I might be crazy looking at this now, however I need a goal to motivate me to save for it or something similar. I am hoping it would have depreciated approx 50% by then as well. I don’t believe in taking out credit to purchase cars so I would rather save in advance.
Currently driving a 2009 Audi A5 coupe 3L TDI Quatro. This is my first ever Audi and to be honest I love it.

I would consider other similar 4 seater powerful sports cars too, however as
I would probably import it from the UK I would be conscious of CO2 emissions in regard to 1. VRT and 2. Irish road tax.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Skoda kodiaq, awesome suv and the days of skoda being a cheap brand are long gone.
Just realised you plan to spend 40 - 50k on a three year old car in a few years.

Kodiaq are circa 45k new.

Model S starts at €81k in Ireland.
The 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi-turbo Quattro landlord mentioned also starts at €80k. They're looking to buy a 3 year old car, in 3 years time, that at that point will cost €40-50k I believe. Should be some 2017/2018 Model S's in around that price by then, given the Model 3 will have arrived and presumably driven down 2nd hand values the way it has in the US...

@landlord if you haven't already, you should drop into the Tesla showroom in Sandyford and take a test drive of the Model S. I don't think the finish is quite as plush as the A7 or higher end Merc's, but the speed, handling, tech and cost of ownership will impress...

The 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi-turbo Quattro landlord mentioned also starts at €80k. They're looking to buy a 3 year old car, in 3 years time, that at that point will cost €40-50k I believe. Should be some 2017/2018 Model S's in around that price by then, given the Model 3 will have arrived and presumably driven down 2nd hand values the way it has in the US...

@landlord if you haven't already, you should drop into the Tesla showroom in Sandyford and take a test drive of the Model S. I don't think the finish is quite as plush as the A7 or higher end Merc's, but the speed, handling, tech and cost of ownership will impress...

Doubt anyone will be buying a tesla second hand as you could count on one hand the number sold new right now in this country

Kind of car you only buy new. ( for now anyway

Doubt anyone will be buying a tesla second hand as you could count on one hand the number sold new right now in this country
Kind of car you only buy new. ( for now anyway
175 Teslas registered in Ireland in 2018 so far.

Also very cheap to import from the UK, given electrics fall into the lowest VRT band (14%) and qualify for a further €5k off that VRT figure.

Also 0% BIK on electrics.

If somebody is in the market for a €50k 3-4 year old high-performance low-running-cost luxury car they're an option to consider.

175 Teslas registered in Ireland in 2018 so far.

Also very cheap to import from the UK, given electrics fall into the lowest VRT band (14%) and qualify for a further €5k off that VRT figure.

Also 0% BIK on electrics.

If somebody is in the market for a €50k 3-4 year old high-performance low-running-cost luxury car they're an option to consider.

I stand corrected, I had no idea so many teslas were sold, I've yet to see one in the flesh but I would definitely include the tesla amongst the options OP.

The new Porsche Panamera hybrid is a beautiful car,style wise it's way ahead of
a Tesla.A friend has a new one but it cost
almost 140k and I think it will hold its value
reasonably well.After 3 years residual value
of 50 to 55% will leave it out of your price
range.

Back