Recommendations for €40-€50,000 3 litre+ Car

I think we can drop trying to rationalise why someone might need the performance levels offered by the cars under discussion here. If car choice was purely a utilitarian decision, cars like these wouldn't exist, we'd all be driving bland practical boxes. Extending the same logic to other purchase categories and we'd also living in small high density communities and by and large, industries such as fashion and cosmetics would be a small fraction of the size they are.

Maybe you should.

It's a crazy amount to spend on a car.
Some people buy paintings, some buy handbags and shoes, some buy jewelry, some buy cars. If you have the money and it's something you want then why not?
Oh, and men don't have midlife crisis, they just sometimes get to a stage in life where they can afford the things they have wanted since they were 16.

Some people buy paintings, some buy handbags and shoes, some buy jewelry, some buy cars. If you have the money and it's something you want then why not?
Oh, and men don't have midlife crisis, they just sometimes get to a stage in life where they can afford the things they have wanted since they were 16.

A painting can be an investment. A car isn't. The reason why not was given by the OP, he said that he owes 1.5 Million in mortgage debt. And he could surely buy a really top car for 20K to 30K and knock 20K off his mortgage.

The M50 is a car park, you can't move in Galway so what's the benefit of a fast car. It's not like you're going to be doing 1000 kilomoters at 200KM on the Authoban. Some of the cities don't even have proper motorways between them.

Plus fast cars are dangerous.

Last edited:
I think we can drop trying to rationalise why someone might need the performance levels offered by the cars under discussion here. If car choice was purely a utilitarian decision, cars like these wouldn't exist, we'd all be driving bland practical boxes. Extending the same logic to other purchase categories and we'd also living in small high density communities and by and large, industries such as fashion and cosmetics would be a small fraction of the size they are.

That reminds me, I was at a car show, and I got into a Mansaratti I think it was called, something like that and it cost an even crazier amount than the OP, and it was awful, low down and a really stupid door. Some of them have crazy doors that would knock your head off and they are difficult to sit in.

There was another car that was even more expensive and nobody was allowed near that.

My husband always wanted an Audi for some reason and he managed to get a top of the range one for two months and he, me and the kids all hated it. Kids couldn't see out the window because it was so low, it had white leather seats and white carpets which is just about the most stupid thing you could imagine. The only thing I liked was that the seats heated up. The great thing was it got the Audi out of his system.

It’s an argument that just goes round and round. Is it logical to spend a significant amount on the car of your dreams? Probably not. Is it logical to spend a serious amount of money on a car when you’ve a mortgage? Probably not. But we’re human beings, not debt servicing robots. I have no interest in being the guy in the cemetary with the best LTV ratio. Life is about experiences and enjoyment; I’d much rather spend money on depreciation and holidays than overpay my mortgage by that amount. Otherwise, why am I bothering?

Without even looking at this, I am assuming this is in the highest co2 bracket.
I just couldn’t justify spending over 2 grand road tax a year.
I am leaning towards the Panamera e hybrid, although I have over 2 years to decide.
I test drove an 2014 Audi S5 automatic last week, also 750 road tax. I wasn’t happy with the engine responsiveness. I have never driven a supercharged performance automatic car before, but flooring it from a rolling start, I was surprised to find first the RPM shooting up and then it’s a a second or two later before you feel the acceleration. Is that normal?

I'm aiming to buy the alfa stelvio in two or three years, the 2.2 - 200 bhp is 52k new, biggest challenge will be finding one as alfa sell so poorly here, probably be a UK import job.

The quadrifoglio is a much higher powered engine but car identical otherwise.

Alfa romeo traditionally have huge depreciation so if you can get a good second hand, good discounts are likely, that said the more recent alfa have gotten good reviews so depreciation may lessen.

Last edited:
And where exactly can one go any faster than anybody else exactly? Or where can one benefit from this fast car to more of an extent than normal priced cars?

We get it, a micra 1.1 litre 60bhp is every bit as good as a 190bhp plus 2.0 plus car.

A painting can be an investment. A car isn't. The reason why not was given by the OP, he said that he owes 1.5 Million in mortgage debt. And he could surely buy a really top car for 20K to 30K and knock 20K off his mortgage.

The M50 is a car park, you can't move in Galway so what's the benefit of a fast car. It's not like you're going to be doing 1000 kilomoters at 200KM on the Authoban. Some of the cities don't even have proper motorways between them.

Plus fast cars are dangerous.

Every single car is " dangerous "

That reminds me, I was at a car show, and I got into a Mansaratti I think it was called, something like that and it cost an even crazier amount than the OP, and it was awful, low down and a really stupid door. Some of them have crazy doors that would knock your head off and they are difficult to sit in.

There was another car that was even more expensive and nobody was allowed near that.

My husband always wanted an Audi for some reason and he managed to get a top of the range one for two months and he, me and the kids all hated it. Kids couldn't see out the window because it was so low, it had white leather seats and white carpets which is just about the most stupid thing you could imagine. The only thing I liked was that the seats heated up. The great thing was it got the Audi out of his system.

Audi are boring.

Fancy volkswagen.

Might as well buy a skoda.

Back