Recommendations for €40-€50,000 3 litre+ Car

landlord

I am considering buying the 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi turbo Quattro.
I am not looking to purchase this till early 2021. I might be crazy looking at this now, however I need a goal to motivate me to save for it or something similar. I am hoping it would have depreciated approx 50% by then as well. I don’t believe in taking out credit to purchase cars so I would rather save in advance.
Currently driving a 2009 Audi A5 coupe 3L TDI Quatro. This is my first ever Audi and to be honest I love it.

I would consider other similar 4 seater powerful sports cars too, however as
I would probably import it from the UK I would be conscious of CO2 emissions in regard to 1. VRT and 2. Irish road tax.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Honest John isn't a fan of the diesel / triptronic.

The current A7 model was just released last month, so there's a good chance a new model might be on the way by 2021, which may help lower the resale value of 2018 models. With diesel sales down 40% in the UK, and bans coming into effect in various cities around Europe, you might get one for a deeper than 50% discount.

wont be a new model just a facelift, audi got 7-8 years out of the last one.

id be looking at the bmw 640 and Porsche Panamera in that company.

wont be a new model just a facelift, audi got 7-8 years out of the last one.

id be looking at the bmw 640 and Porsche Panamera in that company.

Does the Porsche Panamera come in a diesel ? If it’s a petrol only the CO2 emissions I would imagine would be extremely high so the VRT for importing it and the Irish road tax would be extortionate.

Will take a look at the BMWs

Porsche have stopped all diesel Panameras,Macans,and Cayennes since2017.They are going all in on hybrid and fully electric.

€50k would get you a nice Tesla Model S. No worry about emissions, more power than the A7, similar size, auto-pilot and all that good stuff.

2019 Mercedes CLS is a beauitiful looking car but would probably need to get AMG spec for performance you want.

Skoda kodiaq, awesome suv and the days of skoda being a cheap brand are long gone.
Just realised you plan to spend 40 - 50k on a three year old car in a few years.

Kodiaq are circa 45k new.

Model S starts at €81k in Ireland.
The 2018 Audi A7 3 litre TDI bi-turbo Quattro landlord mentioned also starts at €80k. They're looking to buy a 3 year old car, in 3 years time, that at that point will cost €40-50k I believe. Should be some 2017/2018 Model S's in around that price by then, given the Model 3 will have arrived and presumably driven down 2nd hand values the way it has in the US...

@landlord if you haven't already, you should drop into the Tesla showroom in Sandyford and take a test drive of the Model S. I don't think the finish is quite as plush as the A7 or higher end Merc's, but the speed, handling, tech and cost of ownership will impress...

Doubt anyone will be buying a tesla second hand as you could count on one hand the number sold new right now in this country

Kind of car you only buy new. ( for now anyway

Doubt anyone will be buying a tesla second hand as you could count on one hand the number sold new right now in this country
Kind of car you only buy new. ( for now anyway
175 Teslas registered in Ireland in 2018 so far.

Also very cheap to import from the UK, given electrics fall into the lowest VRT band (14%) and qualify for a further €5k off that VRT figure.

Also 0% BIK on electrics.

If somebody is in the market for a €50k 3-4 year old high-performance low-running-cost luxury car they're an option to consider.

I stand corrected, I had no idea so many teslas were sold, I've yet to see one in the flesh but I would definitely include the tesla amongst the options OP.

The new Porsche Panamera hybrid is a beautiful car,style wise it's way ahead of
a Tesla.A friend has a new one but it cost
almost 140k and I think it will hold its value
reasonably well.After 3 years residual value
of 50 to 55% will leave it out of your price
range.