Recommend a Tablet

Slim

Hi. Mrs. Slim's iPad is nearing its end of life and I am thinking of buying her a new tablet for Xmas. She has a Samsung smartphone and loves the camera on it. I thought maybe the Samsung Tab 10 A. Any views? She uses it mostly for Facebook and some email, internet browsing etc. Thanks in advance. Slim

Do you know which specific model you're looking at?

Personally I wouldn't buy an android tablet with less than 3GB RAM. A 2GB model might do fine, but will be become obsolete quickly. Does she use the camera on iPad? I wouldn't be buying based on the camera (plus tablet camera is nowhere close to phone quality).

I'm a little biased against Samsung - they've a history of making tablets obsolete by just stopping Android version upgrades, regardless of how successful the product was.

Thanks. It's the camera on the smartphone she's keen on. What tablet would you buy?

Looking at this

Right, my bias aside, you'll struggle to get the premium feel of Samsung elsewhere for that price. Great screen resolution too, and I just checked it can be upgraded to Android 7 (ships with 6).

I still use a 4 year old Samsung daily, but I don't like that I'd need to take manual steps to do an unofficial Android upgrade.

For a similar price take a look at Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus, or Lenovo Yoga 3 (great battery life, but heavier).

The question you really need to ask is does she want a 10 inch screen? They've decreased a lot in popularity, and you'll find a much bigger selection of 8 inch versions. The benefit is she could throw it in her hand bag.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I didn't realise Lenovo did tablets! We don't usually do upgrades! She's used to 10 inches now and I am not sure she would like to go to 8!;)

Why not another iPad? The current new iPad (not the Pro as she doesn't need this) is a pretty fantastic tablet with an operating system that Mrs. Slim is already familiar with. She can even set the new one up to look exactly the same as her current iPad in terms of apps, settings, photos etc.

Thanks TallPaul but the iPads are very expensive. Less would do I think and she gives out about Apple, influenced by Slim jr, and she has a Samsung phone which she loves and it suggests better connectivity etc.

Would you consider something like this:

€189, 10 inch screen, I have found the Lenovos to be good, we have 2 at home.

The Yoga is not entirely flat, it has a barrel at the bottom that houses the battery, so you get about double the batter life than you would on other similar spec tablets.

I have an offer for a Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus(Wifi) for €265. Specs are:
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8053 Processor ( 2.00GHz
Operating System: ANDROID 7.0
Hard Drive: 64GB
Warranty: One year Depot
Memory: 4.0GB LPDDR3
Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 4.2
Battery: Li-Polymer

To me, this seems good specs after a while browsing the offerings on Argos. What do you think?

Looks good, the 4GB RAM is better than my link of 2GB. 64GB is large for a tablet, I would have thought most storage these days is cloud based on tablets but maybe not, it's certainly plenty.

The 8 inch if fine for kids gaming etc, but a 10 inch makes a big difference. Make sure you go somewhere and familiarise yourself with the size difference before buying

Back