Reclaiming PRSI

B

Blackpudding

Hi. Wonder if anyone can help. In 2006 I was self employed until December when I moved to a PAYE job. When filing my Tax return for 2006 is there a method to enter the PRSI deducted on my PAYE employment. Within the return there is a section for entering the PAYE Tax deducted so I am not double taxed on that portion but there is nowhere to enter the PRSI deducted.

This means in effect i'm paying it twice. Am I missing something.

Hi,

When calculating PRSI on your Income Tax return, you have already paid PRSI on your PAYE income so you don't pay it again. You only pay it on your case I or case II income. Hope that clears it up for you.

Jockey

Hi Thanks. I know I don't need to pay it twice. My problem is that when completing the return (doing it online) I do not know where I can enter and get credit for the PRSI contribution already paid in my PAYE job.

You can enter PAYE income already paid and get credit for that. I suppose I could just add the PRSI I have paid to the PAYE and enter the one figure but it doesn't seem right.

Hi,

Whether you do it on ROS or by paper you have to enter your gross PAYE income and PAYE paid, the revenues system picks this up and you won't be taxed twice on this income or pay PRSI twice. You will only be taxed on any other income you have and pay PRSI on other income that you have not paid PRSI on already. Hope that clears it up for you. Definitely do not put the PRSI in with PAYE paid because that would be completely wrong...

Jockey

Hi. Thanks. Yes, checking the ROS calculation the revenue figure used for the PRSI calculation excludes thae PAYE income in its calculation. So all is fine. Thanks again.

Back