Recent Issues with Gmail

Cervelo

Don't know if this is unique to me or if other people are having the same issue
Since I've come back from Spain all "New reply to a watched thread" are been flagged by Gmail as "Be careful with this message"
"Gmail could not verify that it actually came from askaboutmoney.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments or replying with personal information"

AAM.jpg

And when I check the security I get this "askaboutmoney2019.nh-serv.co.uk did not encrypt this message"

Any Ideas??

Since I've come back from Spain all "New reply to a watched thread" are been flagged by Gmail as "Be careful with this message"
"Gmail could not verify that it actually came from askaboutmoney.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments or replying with personal information"

View attachment 6127
And when I check the security I get this "askaboutmoney2019.nh-serv.co.uk did not encrypt this message"

Any Ideas??
If the email was encrypted the source of the email could be verified. As it's not encrypted the source cannot be verified so Google flags it.

Hi PGF

Thanks for that explanation.

Are most emails encrypted. If I email Cervelo from an ordinary Gmail or Hotmail account, would the email be encrypted? If not, would he get the same warning?

Or does Gmail recognise that it's a system generated email?

Brendan

Most emails, irrespective of the client used, are encrypted for transmission but are stored at source and at the destination in clear text unless the sender or recipient takes action to do otherwise.

Are most emails encrypted. If I email Cervelo from an ordinary Gmail or Hotmail account, would the email be encrypted? If not, would he get the same warning?

Or does Gmail recognise that it's a system generated email?
All emails that arrive in my inbox be it personal, newsletter or transactional are encrypted with TLS except for AAM
It hasn't been an issue before and I likened it to receiving a postcard in snail mail rather than a sealed envelope
Funny thing is it isn't happening on this thread, it didn't happen when you DM me on Sunday but seems to be happening on other threads like "Chasing the sun..." and "Switching Broadband Supplier"

I presume my real question and worry is
Why aren't the emails that I receive from AAM encrypted with a standard encryption like TLS ??
And if there not encrypted should I be concerned about clicking the "View thread" button ??

Gmail uses lots of parameters to check if an email is legitimate or not. SPF is one of them along with blacklists, DKIM, etc

This is how the spf record is set up for askaboutmoney.com

v=spf1 mx a ptr ~all

Using v=spf1 a mx ptr -all first would check whether the connecting client was found in the A record for the domain or, failing that, in its list of MX servers.

According to the askaboutmoney.com dns settings this check will fail as the domain askaboutmoney2019.nh-serv.co.uk is not listed in your MX records.

Your host should be able to tell you what to add to your domain's DNS records in order to list askaboutmoney2019.nh-serv.co.uk as an auhorised sender of email on askaboutmoney.com's behalf.

View attachment 6127

Any Ideas??
Let me know if you see the same warning on new messages

I am still looking into this.

I am being asked to set up something which I don't understand. I like keeping things simple.

So I am minded not to bother - I presume that it doesn't matter if emails from Askaboutmoney are not encrypted.

Brendan

Well good news sofar everything seems to be back working as normal
So I am minded not to bother - I presume that it doesn't matter if emails from Askaboutmoney are not encrypted.
Regarding the encryption I personally don't have an issue with the emails that I receive from AAM, it's a public forum all my post are for public consumption so I don't have have a problem with who sees what I post or what is contained in emails that I receive from AAM
but at the same time I do find it a little odd that they are not encrypted when every other email I receive is.

But when it comes to "Conversations" or PM's between members or yourself, if there is sensitive information or private stuff that members would like to keep between them selves well then I think these emails should be encrypted with a standard encryption.

Hi Mathepac

That is a very good point.
We don't send out emails to users.
I have not chosen to receive any email notifications and not sure why I would.

Brendan

I am still looking into this.

I am being asked to set up something which I don't understand. I like keeping things simple.

Brendan
Encryption is not the issue.

It's whether email from the askaboutmoney.com domain can reliably be marked as spam or not. Some users are opting to receive email (I don't).

Do you send registration emails to new users? Email to these users could be marked as spam or blocked entirely.

I'd be inclined to agree with you Brendan. In fact unless there's an urgent, crying need for email notifications from AAM, maybe even turn the option off at the XenForo preferences level - less to have to manage.
I think if it's to much hassle and other members don't have a problem then mathpac's suggestion of switching off email notification would probably be the simplest and easiest solution and then just use the little red notification on the alarm bell for replies to threads you've posted in

Do you send registration emails to new users? Email to these users could be marked as spam or blocked entirely.

Hi Páid

Yes we do send a registration email.

Hotmail blocks them all at server level so we tell people to register from another email service.

Might encryption solve that problem?

Brendan

Páid is not talking about encryption, but what he is suggesting could very well fix the Hotmail issue.

Basically it's a way for recipients to verify that "this server is trusted to send emails on behalf of AAM". The absence of this makes it more likely emails will be flagged as spam.

Back