Reasonable force - what the repercussions are for me if I get drawn into an altercation?

jamesm

Hi!

I’m a Dub recently moved to a small town in the midlands. There’s a small gang hanging around in the center of town using physical intimidation to bully the locals. I would guess they’re aged in their 20s (or late 20s). I’m more than able to defend myself, but I don’t make that obvious, which I guess is the reason they’ve now included me in their intimidation.

I’ve mentioned the social problem to a couple of locals, whom have avoided the subject – and avoided me since.

Im involved in combat sports for many years but I'm lucky enough to have never been caught up in a street fight. So, I’m wondering what the repercussions are for me if I get drawn into an altercation.

So, for example, if there was a physical incident (that was not started by me), and I brought the ID of the main predator to the local Garda station, could I end up being the bad guy? It’s a small town – and I’ve no idea who know’s who. Could I just make life difficult for myself?

Hi jamesm,

Welcome to AAM.

Sorry I can't answer your main question but just wondering why the local Gardai have not done anything to address this problem? Perhaps you could have a word with the Community Garda and see what they have to say about it.

It sounds like your asking for trouble.
Avoid it at all cost,they will get bored and move onto sumbody or sumthing else soon enough if they don’t end up in jail.

If you are involved in combat sports, then you know the answer to the question that I think you are really asking. My understanding is that the various martial arts and other contact sports give very clear direction on what you can and can't do :)

If I were you, I'd be down the local Garda station regularly about this gang, and with every bit of evidence you can provide, to show they are causing problems.

I'd also join the local neighbourhood watch, or other voluntary groups that interact with the local Gardai, to help you get to know them ASAP.

They'll probably find you easy enough to deal with if there's a gang of them . You might be better off to take a video of the intimidation and give it to the relevant authorities, before you get hurt or worse.

The general principle is that you have a right of self defence.
This will entitle you to use such force as is reasonably necessary and proportionate to fend off an attack and or to make good an escape.

The trouble lies in the evidence. If these corner boys can entice you in to a common street brawl in the gutter you leave yourself open to being identified as the attacker if they all swear up suitably.

Report any incidents to the Gardai.

Avoid the miscreants as a first step in dealing with them.

'Street fights' are very different to any combat sport you'll ever have been involved in. I've been involved in combat sports on and off for a very long time, and I know a lot of hard men who have been badly beaten up, stabbed, even shot because they've landed themselves in situations they thought they could handle easily. I'm not saying some of them haven't had their 'wins', but it rarely ever ends there, and the repercushions of all sorts can just go on and on and on.

You really are putting yourself into a lose lose situation approaching it like that. All it takes is for some skanger to put his keys between his fingers and your out an eye, or a lung, or have brain damage. You land a good shot and he cracks his head off the path on his way down or you think your khabib and body slam him on the concrete - you will change your whole present and future with those few seconds. Do yourself a massive favour and take the good advice above and stop watching the Liam Neeson movies :)

So, for example, if there was a physical incident (that was not started by me), and I brought the ID of the main predator to the local Garda station, could I end up being the bad guy? It’s a small town – and I’ve no idea who know’s who. Could I just make life difficult for myself?
An emphatic “yes” to both questions.

You’ve already learned that other locals don’t want to discuss it. Rural communities don’t appreciate Dubs putting themselves about, regardless of justification, and you’ll likely find yourself on the wrong side of public opinion.

Similarly, the guards don’t appreciate vigilantes. They deal mostly with symptoms, not cause. They won’t care who throws the first punch (or why).

Back