Rear-ended by UK reg car

Decani

We were rear-ended by a UK reg car at the weekend. Called the gardaí who arrived 1hr 15 mins later (nicely timed around the shift-change). Elderly English/Australian occupants of the 'bumper' car. Got all their details etc.

After the bank holiday there yesterday we're trying to chase up. The situation is that their insurer says that their client hasn't admitted responsibility. At this stage, they've probably coached their client to say no liability. He did, however, admit liability to the gardaí so we have that to our defence. However, the gardaí say that only their insurance company can request a copy of the accident report. Now, if they're playing the game where they don't intend on paying out, surely they're never going to request a copy of the report.

Has anybody been through this kind of thing? I've only heard hearsay of these kind of things and they ultimately ended up with no payout. The company involved is Natwest. I'm quite surprised that we, ourselves, can't obtain a copy of the report. Surely there's something going against the data protection act there? Even if we did, would the report carry any weight?

Never mind. Seems there was a bit of a mix up with our insurer when we rang the claim line last Saturday. They advised that we claim off our own policy. We weren't keen on that.

Rang again today and said that we weren't given all the details. They'll cough up for repairs and then they'll pursue the bumper in the UK for costs after getting the accident report from the gardaí.

But will you lose your NCB even if your insurer recoups the cost? When you go for insurance again the answer to the "have you made a claim in the last five years" question may be yes even if this does not reflect the cull circumstances of the situation.

That was our original supposition after our first call. Upon ringing our insurer today they informed us that it wouldn't affect our NCB.

make immediate contact with the Motor Insures Bureau of Ireland in Molesworth Street. they wil llet you have a yellow form which you should complete and return to them asap. At that stage, they wil larrange for an irish insurance company to handle the claim. You should not have to incur the cost and hasle fo phoning UK. If liability is clear cur, and the Irish Insurer will investigate with the gardai and the UK policyholder, then they (the Irish Company) will settle the claim. claiming on your own policy may affect your NCB and wil lcertainly mean that there will be a claim recorded aainst the policy, which given the new type renewal notices, will be recorded for many years.

Must have been the weekend for rear-ending.
We were stopped in traffic in Kinnegad on Sunday evening and were shunted forward into the car in front of us, we had the handbrake on as did the car behind us but the fourth car ploughed in to us.

The offending party is insured with the same insurance company as I am so will that have any affect on my policy and NCB.
Just don't trust insurance companies.

if liability is as clear cut as you say, and that the offending driver puts his hand up, fills in the claim form and accepts responsiblity, then his policy should pay out for property damage within a few days of agreeing the settlement. it is more complicated if there is a injury claim from the owner of the car. Many companies will only settle once, so injury and damage will be paid at the same time. Injury claims can take a long time, especially if there are lagal proceedings or PIAB involvement.

Decani said:
That was our original supposition after our first call. Upon ringing our insurer today they informed us that it wouldn't affect our NCB.

It will affect your NCB.

However it won't once you have claimed back your excess.

Re: Motor accident - Third Party at fault

There are 3 ways to deal with motor accident caused by TP.

1. You deal directly with TP - get 2 repair estimates and send to them, they pay without involving insurers. Advise your insurers, in case you need to go route 3.

2. You deal with TP insurers: the TP has admitted liablity, has sent in claim form ( insurers need this before settling claims as they have to show it to their auditors) and you send them estimates, often they will have an assessor inspect your vehicle. Once figure is agreed they pay you, often they will also pay "reasonable" car hire costs ie 3-5 days. Advise your insurers, in case you need to go route 3.

3. you go via your insurers: you claim from your policy,( claim noted on your policy) you get cost of repairs less excess. you insurers then look for recovery from TP insurers, if this is sucessful your insurers will receive back the money they paid to you ( clearing your NCB) and you will receive back the excess and possibly car hire. Recovery can take a long time depending on circumstances.
I would recommed this route if you feel the TP will refute liability ( away from teh scene many change their minds) or you want a quick settlement.

If you are hit by an uninsured motorist you should approach the motor insurers bureau.

WARNING: There is a current insurance fraud: Insurance discs are stolen form cars and used by another person or fake discs are used. if you are in an accident take the insurance details from the windscreen, the car reg, the persons name and number and that of any passenger and any witness, the name, station and number of any garda, make a sketch. If you can ask the person to show you some id with their name on it. Many foreign nationals are using "fake" insurance or giving fake details, this is a fact - i work in the industry and i have friends who are foreign nationlas and they are regularly approached to see if they want to buy fake documents.

If anyone wants I have a word document " what to do at the scene of an accident" I can post on AAM if anyone interested? could be handy for people to print off and keep in car.

Anthing an insurer says to you over the phone GET it in writing in big crayon. Insurers will not stick to the spirit of things if it costs them money....if they say this will not affect your NCB then get them to write to you stating it b4 you do anything.

Back