Rear end at 5km/h, will anyone insure me?

ZappaMan

Hi all,

Quick query for you - will give bit of background first. I'm in my mid 30's and have never had a claim made against me. I am insured with Supervalu who are underwritten by AIG. A few months ago I was involved in a very minor car accident, it was a 3 car collision in which I was at the very rear. The 2nd car went into the first car pretty hard. I saw this but unfortunately I tipped into him at about 5km/h after hitting the brakes. No damage done to my car or the back of his, only damage done to the front of his (have sent all photos etc to insurer). Everybody perfectly fine at the scene. Couple of weeks later I receive 2 solicitors letters from the driver and his passenger claiming injury due to me going into back of him etc. Now I understand that I probably should have been more awake and that I am probably liable in some way for tipping into him. However, these injury claims are suspicious and for that reason I've not accepted any liabilty yet - my insurers are investigating, have sent engineers to inspect vehicles etc. To cut a long story short, I'm letting them deal with it.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Supervalu saying that they were moving from AIG to Axa. My insurance is due for renewal in a couple of months and this is where I am confused. Will Supervalu offer to renew my insurance seeing as they are moving to a new underwriter? If not, will AIG renew my insurance as they are essentially insuring me anyway? And finally, is there any guide as to how much I should expect my insurance to go up by? Been driving for over 10 years with no claims until now.

Apologies for the long post but basically I'm worried that nobody will want to insure me!

You don't lose the ability to be insured if you are in a minor accident, you lose your no claims bonus...and even then, you can opt to pay the claim if you want instead of the insurer.

Back