Re-mortgage

M

mlean

Quick overview of my current mortgage status. Current mortgage with PTSB.

Mortgage of €305,000 (32 years remaining).
€267,000 of this is at 4.65% variable
€38000 at tracker rate

Personal loans etc : €33,000

Due to recent 1% interest hike and fear of future ECB rate increases I hope to change to a fixed rate with another provider. While currently meeting all payments, finding it a struggle . Could cope with the 1% increase but anymore and think it would be a problem. For re-finance Broker looking for €15,000 extra (not at my specific request).

Terms are;5 year fixed @ 5.5% for 30 years. At pre application stage. Been advised that success hinges on at LTV of about 80% on value of home. Would need €380,000 valuation i think .I am sceptical that the house will be valued high enough to make this. House valued at €380,000 in 2009. The additional money would pay off smaller loans thereby reduce monthly outgoings . However i am worried that this may not be the soundest plan. It would be useful to pay the credit card debt off , as currently that is just dead money- not making any headway paying minimum every month. But given my previous history with debt , obviously i would have to chop it up. Is it not poor financial advice to pay a loan like this off over such a long period? While it is tempting , i wonder if this is the right way to go? New monthly payment is estimated at €1800 (not including mortgage interest relief). Took mortgage out in 2008. Am also worried about the future status of interest relief. Currently on the 22.5% rate of relief (i know that this will not apply to the top up amount). Any significant change in relief would seriously affect affordability. Any advice welcome please?

What is your income? What is the likely hood of it remaining at the level/increasing/decreasing?
Have you approached the other banks yet.
I suggest you cut up the credit cards and also start a spending diary to see where your money is going.

Back