re: auctioneer reneging on promise

E

elle123

Hello,

I bought a new house recently for investment purposes in the midlands. The auctioneer advised me to put in a second electric shower in the main bathroom and told me how 2 electric showers are setup for domestic use, only one electric shower will work at a time, and extra wiring would be required. I agreed to this for a certain cost. However I have since discovered that what was installed is an electric pump shower that works off the central heating system. The auctioneer is now saying thats all the builder would put in but I was never informed of this at the time and could have made other arrangments and only found out this for myself when I went to use the shower and there was no hot water.

What legal rights do I have here to get the auctioneer to uphold on their promise. All contracts were paid a few months ago.

Thanks
Elle123

Would imagine you have no legal rights whatsoever
Why did you take advice from an auctioneer on plumbing and electrical matters?
Sorry for this but would you ask a dentist to recommend timber floors?

D

I didnt ask the auctioneer, he volunteered this information - it would be better for rental purposes anyway. It is possible to have 2 electric showers installed on domestic dwelling (my brother-in-law has had it in his house), surely it should have been up to the auctioneer to let me know the policy of the builder on the shower. I should at least have been informed of this as you would if you were to buy any thing wheter it could be delivered or not?

"I agreed to this for a certain cost." - who did you agree this with ? If it was the builder then it is him you should be after, if it was the auctioneer then you should be wondering why the auctioneer was in the picture at all unless he was acting as some sort of project manager for you in the purchase and fit out.

z

Any rental property I bought I had no dealings with the auctioneer bar saying yes I will go ahead.
After that all extra's etc like your shower I would have discussed directly with the site foreman.
Have you contacted the foreman and made a complaint to them?
One positive is that they cannot remove the shower now thats its installed so my advice would be to do a deal with the electrician directly.

D

You should really always have something in writing! I would suggest that when deals are being thrashed out, always hand the builder, auctioneer and solicitor copy of what has been discussed so that it can be filed! It will only take a couple of minutes and at least you know you have a reference to it with everyone if a problems arises

Back