Rape Seed Oil/Bio-Diesel fuel - 50% diesel increase this year!!

Betsy Og

This is gathering a bit of momentum - and I hear this morning on the radio that diesel is predicted to go up by 50% this year (sounds crazy).

Anyway, advantages are (apparently):

-cheaper at about 87c a ltr in the only garage I've seen stocking it (which is "Great Gas" in Ballyhea, just below Charleville). This is probably primarily due to the reduced govt. duty on it
-lower emmissions (this is the big "green" benefit)
-easier on the engine than diesel as has a lubricating action as well, engine runs at lower heat (I think)

Downsides are:

- possible conversion cost on your engine. At ploughing championship there were guys from Wexford saying about €1,400 to convert. I heard VW diesels were set to run on it but not sure- I think they can definitely take 10/90 rape seed oil/diesel mix
- performance loss ??? (though serious performance enthuasiasts probably are not in a diesel anyway)
- might have to invest in a tank at home given the difficulty in sourcing conventional supply

Other points:

does it affect your resale (for better or worse?). If it gives longer engine life then you would expect it should help resale but you never know.
I think that even after full conversion you have the option to use either rape seed oil or diesel - i.e. you could take a fill of diesel if werent near rape seed oil seller.

Some Commentary I found re it:

The two variants are Rape Seed oil, essentially cooking oil, or Rape Seed Methyl Ester, also known as biodiesel.

The former has a much higher viscosity ["runniness" - water has a higher viscosity than porridge] than diesel and required modifications to run on most diesel engines, ranging from preheating the oil in the tank or along the fuel lines, two tank systems where you start up and shut down on regular diesel or biodiesel and run only on veggie when the engine is hot (this usually includes heating of the oil in the tank or fuel lines too), for lucas/CAV injector pumps in particular most people recommend to never ever use the stuff but there are some modifications that can be made by creating little channels on the rotor to allow oil to cool the pump which will allow it to be used. Some people just blent the veggie oil with regular diesel and get away with it, but you've got to be careful in cold weather.

The RSME on the other hand is a much simpler proposition, the viscosity is similar to regular diesel and the only major concern is the degradation of any rubber components in the fuel system due to RSME being a much more powerful solvent than diesel. Many german cars in particular have fuel systems that are resistant to this solvent action as there is 5% RSME in all diesel sold in germany.

A word of warning, don't try putting rape seed oil into any common rail or pumpe deuse type diesel engine, you will regret it. If experimenting with RSME on these, blend it with ordinary diesel and build up the mix gradually.

Back