Raisin, foreign bank account and PRSI topup on ALL interests

Cilar

Opening a foreign bank account ( inclusive of EU account) requires a form 11 to be filled to declare it, which in turn trigger the PRSI surcharge on top of DIRT on all savings interests including the ones in Ireland? This is what is happening in the online form11 automatic calculation. I think this makes opening foreign accounts unappealing. I’m surprised Revenue did not get on the EU radar for this.

That's interesting. Would this apply in my situation I wonder.

We're in the process of returning to Ireland from the US, having spent the last 35 years in the US. We just closed on a house in Ireland and we now have a bank account here. We will not be resident in Ireland for tax purposes for another few years but will spend summers here. I still have a small business in the US which I can handle online and need to retain an address there for banking purposes.
I'd like to move approx $500k from US dollar savings to a Euro account to take advantage of the current exchange rate. The cash is currently in a Marcus.com (Goldman Sacks) simple savings account paying 1.2% interest. Is there something like that anywhere in the EU I could use? I've briefly searched online and found Raisin.ie but that only showed a French account and with a 100K limit.
Where do Irish savers keep significant cash they do not want to commit to the market?

Last edited:
That's interesting. Would this apply in my situation I wonder.

We're in the process of returning to Ireland from the US, having spent the last 35 years in the US. We just closed on a house in Ireland and we now have a bank account here. We will not be resident in Ireland for tax purposes for another few years but will spend summers here. I still have a small business in the US which I can handle online and need to retain an address there for banking purposes.
I'd like to move approx $500k from US dollar savings to a Euro account to take advantage of the current exchange rate. The cash is currently in a Marcus.com (Goldman Sacks) simple savings account paying 1.2% interest. Is there something like that anywhere in the EU I could use? I've briefly searched online and found Raisin.ie but that only showed a French account and with a 100K limit.
Where do Irish savers keep significant cash they do not want to commit to the market?
Regardless of where you keep it in any a\c in Ireland you won't get 1.2% interest.

Opening a foreign bank account ( inclusive of EU account) requires a form 11 to be filled to declare it, which in turn trigger the PRSI surcharge on top of DIRT on all savings interests including the ones in Ireland? This is what is happening in the online form11 automatic calculation. I think this makes opening foreign accounts unappealing. I’m surprised Revenue did not get on the EU radar for this.

Does this apply if you are filing a form 12 rather than a form 11 ?

Clarification on PRSI chareges on un-earned income, including interest from which DIRT has been charged

Unearned income and social insurance​

Unearned income from rents, investments, dividends and interest on deposits and savings is liable to PRSI at 4% since 1 January 2014. People aged under 16 and over 66 are exempt from PRSI and are not liable for the new charge. (In 2013 people paying modified rate contributions (mainly civil and public servants recruited before April 1995) became liable to PRSI of 4% (paid at Class K) on earned self-employed income and any unearned income (from 1 January 2013) and on self-employed income which comes under PAYE (from 28 June 2013).

Anyone with unearned income of over €5,000 is considered to be a 'chargeable person' and is liable to pay the PRSI charge at 4% on all their unearned income. They pay the charge under Revenue's self-assessment system (Pay and File). The new PRSI charge is paid at Class K and does not entitle the person to any social insurance benefits.

PAYE tax payers who are not considered 'chargeable persons' by Revenue are not liable for the new PRSI charge. A person is not a 'chargeable person' if their income from non-PAYE sources is less than €5,000 and this income is taxed under the PAYE system. (Generally such income is taxed by reducing a person’s tax credits to account for tax payable. However if you have paid Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) on your non-PAYE income you are not required to pay further income tax on this income.)

I’m a partner, not a PRSI earner. I’m very tempted by the 2.5% rate at Raisin but do I have to lodge a form with the Revenue if I do?

I’m a partner, not a PRSI earner. I’m very tempted by the 2.5% rate at Raisin but do I have to lodge a form with the Revenue if I do?
No i dont think so, you just declare foreign deposit income on your tax return.

Don't understand why there is not a major campaign to get dirt and other taxes removed from irish deposit accounts when deposit rates are far lower than inflation rates.
Effectively you are losing money to inflation even by getting 2.5% interest on deposit in France, yet revenue are also going to tax that deposit even though you are losing purchasing power to inflation

If you follow that logic then they should abolish income tax too... :oops: I don't know of many, other than crazy Freemen types, who believe that.

If you follow that logic then they should abolish income tax too... :oops: I don't know of many, other than crazy Freemen types, who believe that.
No, income tax is on money you earn. DIRT currently merely augments losses incurred by those whose savings are eaten up by inflation.

If you are lucky enough to have excess wealth earning interest, the state wants a cut, to offset the lost transaction taxes it would have seen if you spent/invested it elsewhere. Revenue want you to put your wealth to use either consuming services (driving demand and growth and ironically inflation), or preparing for your retirement so that you're not a future drain on the state. Anything else will be taxed heavily, unless you are so rich that tax avoidance advice becomes worthwhile.

(I am also a saver and have Raisin interest in my tax return).

If you invest with Raisin over 5 years and the interest is paid when it matures (after 5 years) do you declare the interest to Revenue in year 5?

If you are an Irish tax resident and domiciled individual, you should be subject to Irish tax rules on your worldwide income and gains. This includes foreign income earned abroad, such as interest income earned on deposits held in foreign bank accounts. On this page we explain what the withholding tax is, as well as provide necessary documentation and deadlines for each of the EU countries of our partner banks. We also explain how to obtain a certificate of tax residence.*

Page overview
What you will find in this page
  1. Tax treatment of foreign deposit interest income in Ireland
  2. Deposit Interest Retention Tax “DIRT”
  3. Withholding tax and documentation required by country
  4. Certificate of tax residence
  5. Documentation and other frequently asked questions

If you are an Irish tax resident and domiciled individual, you should be subject to Irish tax rules on your worldwide income and gains. This includes foreign income earned abroad, such as interest income earned on deposits held in foreign bank accounts. On this page we explain what the withholding tax is, as well as provide necessary documentation and deadlines for each of the EU countries of our partner banks. We also explain how to obtain a certificate of tax residence.*
Could you clarify what's the tax treatment for non-domiciled individual?

Back