Ragwort?

ajapale

I have noticed some some commentary on this plant on the Radio and the letters page of the Irish Times recently. For example "[broken link removed].

What is the legal position with Ragwort? If I allow ragwort to grow in my back garden am I breaking the law? If so what law and what is the sanction. How is such a law enforced? Does the law apply to statutory bodies such as CIE, Local Authorities, Harbour Boards etc.

On a broader level it is hard to see what the fuss is about. The sligthly hysterical commentary on RTE and the IT seems a little over the top.

aj

it used to be that farmers were fined for having it in ditches near public roads - now that the county councils are responsible for these areas they happily turn a blind eye and it grows away happily. Anyone who wed beet in the past has an inbuilt hatred of the stuff.
T

Anyone who wed beet in the past has an inbuilt hatred of the stuff.
T
Yes, nelly, I have noticed this inbuild hatred of the stuff.

I wonder how bad it is in this post agricultural age? I wonder how many cattle, sheep or horses have died or got sick from ingesting this plant. I imagine that the law is an anachronistic throw back to a bye gone age.

aj

ragworth poisoning is extremely common. it is a highly dangerous weed. Cattle can die from eating it, but sheep can safely eat it. farmers can still be fined in court for allowing it to grow on the land, but the local authorities who can face the same penalties, like many public bodies, do nto really care as it is not their money or liberty that is at risk, it is the taxpayer/ratepayer.

no one shoudl allow this wee grow on their land and it behoves us all to remove t whenever possible

Further information on ragwort can be found .

While certainly dangerous to livestock, ragwort has significant benefits to other parts of the environment - see paragraphs 10-16 of the linked document in particular.

Hi Ajapale

I used to (and in fact still do) call this weed praiseach. Anyone else call it this?

Marion

Back