Radiator question

edadam

I have a radiator I would like to replace as it's too small and does not give enough heat for my son's bedroom. I would like to increase the current size from 3' to 5' approx (not sure of the standard sizes). We have wooden floors and the pipes currently come up either side of the valves. Is there any way around taking up the floor boards when replacing the rad ?

Try one of the [broken link removed], though they will be more expensive - make sure you check out the heat-output performance of the rad.

There is an easier way, isolate the flow and return pipework and remove the ex. rad. Hang the new 5' rad on the wall, you can now reuse one of the existing flow/return tails if this suits (means rad will be off-centre though) or you can simply cut back tail a couple of inches and fit a new elbow to extend pipework to new valve location. This can be done with one or both valves. This is almost certainly how any plumber would approach the job- there is absolutely no need to take up floors or interfere with finished decorations , this is not justified. OK you will have some additional pipework (surface mounted) visible but this will not matter if the work is planned and neatly executed.

There are also heat and pressure resistant flexible water hoses available . These would allow for a flexible fitting . Similar to the ones at the back of a washing machine . And there are nicer looking ones , covered in a flexible metall mesh . Available from the plumber merchant .

Back