Radiator Problems

majee

We have an ongoing issue in the house with radiators not warming completely. We've spent a bit up money upgrading the heating in the house over the last few years, new oil boiler 6 years ago, some new rads, TRV's etc We also use coal as we have a back boiler too. The issue seems to be this - for no apparent reason a bedroom rad will heat fully and then maybe a few weeks later it'll only be heated on the edges. The current 'rad du jour' is a big one in the kitchen/dining. Coming down in the morning it's notably cooler than the rest of the house. I've bled the rad and it's fine and now another bedroom one is gone cooler despite the TRV being up to the max. It seems to be a sort of balancing issue but it's got no logic to it as far as I can see. Anyone got any ideas? BTW it's a 3-storey house - is it possible that the pump from the boiler isn't powerful enough and it causing this issue? We have 11 rads in total - 4 at the top of the house, 3 in the middle and 4 downstairs.

It is possible it is a pump issue (should be a 6metre head pump for 3 stories (bet it's a 5m head)

but it could also be the trv's turning on and off upsetting the system balance, I would suggest removing all the trv heads then balancing the system and wait and see

how can I tell if it's a 5 metre head in the pump? Removing the TRV's is a relatively big job IMO and not one a week before Xmas. I seem to recall we had rad issues before the TRV's were fitted. Would this point to the pump?

Have you ever powerflushed the system or added cleanser?

It may be a pump issue, what type of pump is it and what does it say on it?

Try and balance system, turn down rads that are hottest on the locksheild side (as opposed to TRV side) to encourage pump to drive water else where. It may take a bit of trail and error if you don't normally do this kind of thing. also turn down valve of heating return from cylinder.

Back