Racist Spanish supporters

O

OhPinchy

Was anyone else majorly disgusted at hearing the monkey chants everytime a black English player got the ball during their football match in Spain last night?

They should be heavily penalised for this and for anyone who didn't see the match, it was most definitely not just a small minority of supporters who engaged in this behaviour.

Racist Chants

I would agree, it was disgraceful. FIFA and the governing body of the Spanish national team must react to the fans behaviour.

Re: Racist Chants

Action must be taken against the Spanish FA; the FAI were fined because the Irish crowd booed Arveladze of Rangers at Lansdowne road.

If this happened at Wembley or Old Trafford, England would be thrown out of FIFA by now.

I didn't think Spaniards are like that what with all the North Africans and South Americans there in Madrid.

I can only say that I watched the first have, but may have had it on mute, and what I saw was Spain playing brilliant football, and that really frustrated England, so they resorted to Eircom league style tackling and tried to ruin the football!

Dan you're right England were crap and were frustrated alright.

The chants were most audible in the second half when Shaun-Wright Phillips came on. The chants were going on for the whole match though - read in today's Irish Times that Spanish TV company actually lowered the volume of the microphones to draw less attention to it. The majority of the crowd were also jumping up and down singing 'if you're not bouncing you're a black'. Pretty sickening stuff, and their manager makes it worse by refusing to comment, and in any other civilised European country the head of the FA would be forced to resign if he reacted like the head of the Spanish FA.

Re: ...Spanish Practices

Apparently most of the the chanting was from near the camera points which is where the expensive seats are! So these were not blue collar supporrters.
Ironic that it seemed to backfire when all the advertising boards etc were promoting their Olympic bid for 2012.

The manager,Aragones should at least resign - Big Ron Atkinson did the decent thing!

Re: ...Spanish Practices

Big Ron Atkinson did the decent thing!
Oxymoron ? Or just a moron ? He should have done the decent thing in the first place.

Yes - the racist taunting by the Spanish fans was thoroughly objectionable. A bit like the sectarian taunting of current or ex Rangers players by significant sections of the Ireland support in Lansdowne Road these days I suppose.

... so they resorted to Eircom league style tackling and tried to ruin the football!

When's the last time that you were at an eL game out of interest and who was playing?

When's the last time that you were at an eL game out of interest and who was playing?

I average about 4 games a year, and pretty much the majority of teams have highly competitive tackling (especially Roddy Collins

Damn Fascist spics! Thats probably one of the reasons the Catalans and basques wants separate states!!
I see last night the English themselves were mocking Dwight Yorke with similar chants!! You get numbskulls everywhere unfortunately!!

I average about 4 games a year, and pretty much the majority of teams have highly competitive tackling (especially Roddy Collins.

Is a 2.2% sample size (based on 36 weeks of 5 games and excluding cup competitions and non Premier division games) statistically significant? ;)

Looks like those nasty Spanish traits have somehow rubbed off on those previously untainted English supporters. :\

"Is a 2.2% sample size (based on 36 weeks of 5 games and excluding cup competitions and non Premier division games) statistically significant? "

Firstly, 4 out of 36 is 11.1%. (and you a moderator-financial guru?????)

Secondly, there's only 18 home games (don't forget there are teams from outside of Dublin too ye know!) 4 from 18 is 22.2%.

Take away 10 games because of rain, 2 because of the rugby matches are on at the same time, 1 because of Christmas shopping (when it was a winter season) and 1 because I refuse to watch Shamrock Rovers scum!

That leaves 4, so effectively a 100% record.

Firstly, 4 out of 36 is 11.1%. (and you a moderator-financial guru?????)

36 weeks of 5 games is 180 games in total and 4 games out of this total is 2.22%. Retract your condescension please! :p

Secondly, there's only 18 home games (don't forget there are teams from outside of Dublin too ye know!)

So you're only seeing your own team and four opponents? Even less stastically significant so... Perhaps it's your own team who are the kickers? :)

and 1 because I refuse to watch Shamrock Rovers scum!

Ah - at least something that we can agree on! ;)

I'm surprised no one has made the following point, either here or on TV or in the press before.

Whilst I in no way condone the Spanish Fans actions against the black English Players, it was disgusting........however ....

It sort of smells of hypocrisy for the British Tabloid Press and the FA to cry foul .

What about every single team that lines out against England?
Their national anthem is drowned out by boos and hisses and they have shown a complete lack of respect to any foreign visiting football team for 20 years now ....

I hadn't heard of other black players receiving this sort of treatment...is it because they were English Black players that added fuel to the fire so to speak ?

The English may have been getting back some of their own medicine ??? ( I repeat I don't condone it)

I also think there may be some hyper tension within Spain regarding 'coloured races' in a similar way many US people reacted to people from the middle east after September 11th atrocity...... paranoia and fear and resentment of other races.

is it because they were English Black players that added fuel to the fire so to speak ?

Apparently Roberto Carlos got similar treatment from Barcelona fans the other night - so NO

There is no point in trying to rationalise racism in general or a lot of other (not necessarily objectionable) behaviour that goes on in a football stadium. And I include my own behaviour in that too! ;) For example Real Madrid supporters are notorious for directing racist abuse at opposing non-white players even though their own team includes the likes of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Raul Bravo etc. Go figure...

Back