RaboDirect MLIIF World Mining

R

Roykeane16

I invested quite a big chunk of my savings into this fund 2 weeks ago (my first experience in buying shares) and it is going down quite quickly. Has anyone else invested in this?

What sort of research did you do before buying?
What is your attitude to risk?
What is your timeframe?

Commodity markets have been extremely volatile over the past few weeks-and that isn't unusual-but it has been compounded by liquidity concerns and general sentiment.

Unless you bought into this fund for short-term gains, I wouldn't be overly concerned with recent moves-otherwise you could be worried for quite some time.

Many thanks for your reply, your questions and your views on the recent stock market volatility CCOVICH.

What sort of research did you do before buying?

I looked into the fund by getting data on the previous performance for the stock, then looked at the investment manager providing it (Blackrock-Merrill Lynch) who have a good reputation apparently. However as I mentioned I have no previous experience in this business so learning the hard way!

What is your attitude to risk?
I like taking risks and would be a bit of a gambler.

What is your timeframe?
I am in for the long haul and >10 years is timeframe. I simply wanted something that would outperform savings accounts available on the high street offering 5% p.a.

Can I ask would you possibly know what is the relationship between this stock quoted here:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:MLW
and this product
[broken link removed]

I wouldn't be overly concerned to be honest-performance in recent weeks is not a reliable indicator of what will happen in the next 10 years.

Spend some time on the internet reading about commodities. The Bloomberg website has a lot of interesting material on all asset classes.

I wouldn't tend to look at past performance when evaluating potential investments.

It's worth bearing in mind that platinum in particular is an extermely volatile asset.

Roykeane16 said:
Can I ask would you possibly know what is the relationship between this stock quoted here:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:MLW
and this product
[broken link removed]

It looks like the fund you have invested in holds shares in the ML investment trust in question.

All in all, I'd say it's safer than investing in a football club.

Back