Rabobank launch Irish internet banking operation (& 3% a/c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubMan

Here's the press release
Europe's largest Internet bank launches in Ireland

RaboDirect to surpass existing deposit rates

One of the world's largest banks and Europe's largest internet bank, the AAA rated Rabobank Group, today announced it is to set up a retail finance arm in Ireland with the launch of RaboDirect, a new internet bank for Irish savers and investors. The online bank RaboDirect.ie goes live immediately providing customers with several new savings and investment choices.

RaboDirect will initially provide an instant demand deposit account attracting a highly competitive, variable flat rate of 3%. The rate will be available uniformly to all RaboDirect customers as there is no minimum or maximum deposit required and no fees or charges apply. Interest is calculated daily and there are no penalties or time delays for early withdrawals. As a purely internet bank, without the overheads associated with traditional banks and shared back office support, RaboDirect operates from a low cost base and can therefore offer consistently high rates. The rate will apply to all savings accounts regardless of the sums on deposit or the duration.

In addition RaboDirect is also offering execution only investment products including the highly rated Morning Star and Standard & Poor's managed funds from Robeco and Merrill Lynch respectively. There is a complete range of funds available, to enable customers to choose an investment that suits their risk profile. The entry and exit costs are very low (0.75%), and there are no additional banking costs.

Parent company Rabobank Group is among the world's largest banks and its consistent AAA rating makes it among the most secure. Rabobank was rated the world's safest non-listed bank in October 2004 by Global Finance magazine.

With RaboDirect all transactions take place online using a secure system developed by security partners VASCO, based on the principle of something you have, i.e. a Digipass, and something you know, i.e. a pin code. The Digipass operates in such a way that the customers' online access code changes every 36 seconds. VASCO's systems are used by 350 international financial institutions and some 1,500 blue chip corporations and governments located in more than 80 countries, but have not been available in Ireland up to this point.

RaboDirect customers can open accounts online from anywhere without ever having to enter a branch office, and can access their money online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Full back up is provided by the Customer Contact Centre which will operate from 8:00am-8:00pm Mon-Fri and from 10:00am-5:00pm on Saturday. To make lodgements customers simply transfer his/her funds from their primary bank account to their RaboDirect Savings account. To make a withdrawal, the customer can electronically transfer funds from his/her RaboDirect account to any other Irish bank account.

Ralf Dekker, Board Member, Rabobank International stated, "The launch of RaboDirect.ie marks our entry into a third country with our internet banking offering. Rabobank has been active in internet banking since 1994 when it first launched in the Netherlands. We now have 1.9 million active internet clients in the Netherlands. In 2002 we launched our Belgian online bank Rabobank.be. Today some 36,000 people, with combined savings of over ¤900 million, are banking with Rabobank.be. Ireland is the second overseas market in which we have launched and our growing commitment to internet banking will see Rabobank Group extend into more markets worldwide. We look forward to Irish savers and investors reaping the same benefits from our consistently high rates as our Dutch and Belgian customers have enjoyed."

Commenting at the launch Mr. Greg McAweeney, General Manager, RaboDirect said, "There are real opportunities to introduce transparent, uncomplicated and accessible products. There is a clear gap between the financial products and services currently available and what the public want. We can offer a rate 10 times the average deposit account which will bring real competition into the market. In addition our managed funds will provide opportunities for investors and in particular SSIA account holders to continue their investment at a level to suit their needs.

As a virtual bank without the overheads of the more traditional bricks and mortar banks, we have many distinct advantages, which underpin our ability to consistently offer a higher rate without penalties, fees or charges. Our aim is to be the "best buy" by focusing on a competitive rate as well as being convenient, simple and transparent. In addition since we are not publicly quoted we are not shareholder driven and as a result all profits go into reserves, which in turn can be used to pay top level interest rates".

Applicants can open an account by completing the online application form and forwarding it, along with a cheque drawn on their primary bank account, proof of identity such as a passport or driving licence, and two recent bills in their own name to RaboDirect, Rabobank International Dublin Branch, Charlemont Place, Dublin 2. Within a few days they are issued with a Digipass, account number, and PIN code.

RaboDirect is part of Rabobank Group, which already has a presence in Ireland through its business arm ACCBank and its wholesale operation, Rabobank Ireland plc.

ENDS

Re: Rabobank launch Irish internet banking operation

Good to see some more competition. They don't mention how long the 3% rate will last, but right now it's the best in the market. I guess they expect the ECB to raise rates soon.

Slightly strange setup in that they require you to open a free "current account" with each savings account. Interesting to see if they'll allow European transfers from it.

21 pages of terms & conditions!

Oh, in case you hadn't guessed, their web-site is http://www.rabodirect.ie

MugsGame said:
Good to see some more competition. They don't mention how long the 3% rate will last, but right now it's the best in the market. I guess they expect the ECB to raise rates soon.

Slightly strange setup in that they require you to open a free "current account" with each savings account. Interesting to see if they'll allow European transfers from it.

No minimum deposit - very interesting - I was about to open a [broken link removed] internet account - or rather, was going to open one when I had a spare grand at the end of the month, which is probably going to be on the 1st of Never!

MugsGame said:

Their [broken link removed] products look interesting also - 0.75% entry and exit fees but no other charges. I wonder how it compares to the Quinn Life ? Has anyone on AAM with more experience of investing in funds done a comparison yet?

(Apologies if this has been asked before - I did a quick look and found nothing.)

Interesting to see that they are also offering what appears to be a more secure way of online banking using tokens to generate passwords for when you log on

C

I must agree, it looks like a very secure system; at first glance that is. Rates look pretty good too, so off to the Ts and Cs it is so.

Capaill said:
Interesting to see that they are also offering what appears to be a more secure way of online banking using tokens to generate passwords for when you log on

C

Yes, this article appears to suggest that this is a first for Ireland.

In fact, it's not, as BOI's original 365 Online was launched with a password generating token device as well, but I think it proved unpopular with customers and was withdrawn and replaced with the current 3 factor authentication of usernumber, PIN & DOB etc..

I wonder if the digitoken will take off in Ireland?
Perhaps the time is right - it might take off now in this very security conscious and paranoid world we live in!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/04/internet_only_bank_ireland/

I have a digitoken thing to access an email account in the US, its a pain in the a**e! I hate it. yeah it very very secure but I ended up setting up an Autoforward rule so my email gets sent to the primary email account.........so now I dont use it at all..............

Just noticed I appeared as unregistered on the above post, had problems accessing AAM yesterday and now have to type in the IP address into the URL, so it didn't automatically log me in.......

I want to sign up but is anyone else uneasy about putting an original copy of their utility bill and their tax free allowance cert from the revenue commissioners.

(Northern rock are the exact same as well)

I'm just wondering how they calculate CAR, as I usually go by the APR,

Thanks,
Colc

I always did know that the usual 3 days bank to bank transfer time is bogus and here is what Rabo has to say:

----
If you transfer money to RaboDirect from your primary bank account, RaboDirect will receive the money the next working day. That will be the first day for your interest calculation.
----

Next day!

Now if their current account would be a real current account and not just an in/out account I would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back