Rabo or Northern Rock

Sunster

Hi,
I have about €7000 I want to put into a savings account. As I've also had a pay rise, I fancy maybe adding about 300 each month to it.
I have not used either Rabo or Northern Rock before.

If you were in my situation would you be thinking of using one of these savings accounts? Or maybe something else?

My one criteria is that it is a flexible account that I can access the money relatively quickly if that rainy day arrives.

Are these internet savings accounts easy and reliable to use?

Rabo have the best rate at the moment for up to €10K. Above that NR are best for lump sums. For regular savers there are other accounts with good rates but bear in mind that the headline rate can be a little misleading. See here for example. See the for more on deposit rates on offer. In my experience NR and Rabo are very simple to use. Also bear in mind that it generally only makes sense to savve towards some specific short/medium term goal using a deposit account or to keep your emergency "rainy day" fund in one. Otherwsie medium to long term savings might be better in something with a higher risk/reward profile such as a low charges equity fund of some sort. Today's ECB rate hike will probably have some knock on effect on deposit rates soon if not already for those with ECB based margin guarantees.

Have had Rabo now for 6months and been taking money and putting in and out regularly enough and its simple to use.Can't say a bad word against them so far and the any money I've taken out has arrived in the account on time.I think everyone should have a Rabo or NI account to keep money for emergency situations etc

Back