Quinn Celtic Freeway - Is it time to switch?

Happy Girl

Have 40% of my one off lump sum investment with Quinn Life in Celtic Freeway Fund. Would I be wise at this stage to reduce this percentage or should I hold tight as I am definitely in this for the long term i.e. 10+yrs? Reading previous threads I note that "blips" like what is happening in the ISEQ in recent times will not have huge significance in the long term. My fund is down 2k since last May. Just looking for opinions here.

Hi

Looking historically at the major blips over the last 30-40 years in the Irish index, these blips have usually been followed by a high surge in growth...this is not garunteed,

Take a look at Friday 2 weeks ago Irish Times business section if you would like to see in more detail,

Whilst I am not currently invested, I definitly think there are better places for your money at the minute but that is entirely up to yourself, and your attitude to risk however,

You could consider taking a small portion of it and allocating it to emerging markets with Quinn and accept a higher level of risk and volatility?

Hope this helps a little,

a good cautionary article on the irish market worth reading before making a decision:
[broken link removed]

I sold my Celtic over a month ago, lost 30 % on peak value in May ....

Thats life

Thanks folks for all your contributions. Am I naive in thinking that if I am in this for the long haul that it would be foolish of me to take a 2k loss at this stage given that this money is being put away and I will not be depending on it at any stage in the foreseeable future. Unless we are in a deep black recession for the next 10-15yrs surely it would be prudent to hang on in there. Am I rationalising this correctly?

I have only a small investment in the Freeway funds, however they seem to be very volatile - at on estage up a lot then down the next day. I know I have taken a hit lately but I will ride it out.

As Warren Buffet tells us...the market is a pendulum which swings between over optimism and under optimism, we should learn as investors to sell to optimists and buy from pessimists...

Its entirely up to you if you are happy to at this stage to cut your losses and sell to someone more optimistic but from what I read from you...you seem to be quite happy to let it ride and see what Irish markets in the future return to you,

Hope this helps a little

Back