Irish Life Health Quinn bust - switch to VHI or AVIVA?

haminka1

We've been with Quinn /exBUPA/ for the last 8 years, none of us with a medical condition, both professional and our company has a group scheme with both, VHI and AVIVA. We have a 3 months old baby and olan another one.
Which insurance would you recommend to switch to, VHI or AVIVA?
We don't trust Quinn anymore and don't want to find ourselves in a situation where we'll need a private medical care but won't be able to get it.

The Health Insurance Authority's website (www.hia.ie) has a useful comparison feature on their website, but given that there a vast number of plans, you might need to do a bit of research before making a decision.

You don't say what plan you have, but given you have a 3 month old, Aviva may be a lower cost option, as they don't charge for any members under the age of 1, even if switching from another insurer. However, I read in a paper today that they plan to have a price increase next month, so this may or may not cancel any potential cost savings.

Also, if it's any comfort to you, the Financial Regulator has publicly stated that Quinn Insurance claims will be paid as normal, and this presumably includes the healthcare arm. The Regulator's press release after Administrators were fully appointed ([broken link removed]) says "QIL remains able to pay claims and renew policies in the normal way in the Republic of Ireland". That said, given that health insurance is primarily about peace of mind, I can't blame you for thinking twice.

I'm going to start asking the HIA for referral fees from now on :).

Haminka, if you haven't done so already, also do a search in this sub-forum as health insurance questions have come up regularly so you might get a sense of people's experiences as well as factual information from the HIA website.

Back