Quick question regarding energy saving lightbulbs

RMCF

AS much as I dislike these, I have most of the house converted over to them now since they are practically giving them away in NI (recent deals 10 for £1 in Dunelm Mill, and really bright ones in Tesco are 5 for £1).

I thought I heard an ESB advert on the radio the other day saying if you bought one for €8 you'd get one free !! Did I hear this correctly?

Surely that can't be the price of them in RoI? Do Tesco's and the like in Ireland not do the 5 for €1 deals that they do in NI?

The older style ones shaped like a baton are €1.79 in Homebase and the ones shaped like traditional bulbs are €7.79 (for a 115w equivalent ).I guess I'll stock up on my next unpatriotic trip north.

The price of CFLs vary wildly, but so does the quality. It is possible to buy very cheap ones in Woddies etc, but the quality of the light is dissapointing, and the delay on turn on is annoyingly long when they are more than a year old.

The ESB were possibly selling Philips ones for that price, which are better. You should price check like with like, before commenting on a price.

The price of CFLs vary wildly, but so does the quality. It is possible to buy very cheap ones in Woddies etc, but the quality of the light is dissapointing, and the delay on turn on is annoyingly long when they are more than a year old.

The ESB were possibly selling Philips ones for that price, which are better. You should price check like with like, before commenting on a price.

I think i'd take a chance if they're 5 for a pound all the same...

So PHilips ones canbe approx £7 - £8 but Tescos own brand are 20p each.

Are the Philips ones really that much better?

Not all energy-saving light bulbs are created equally. I was in Woodies last week and there is a wide disparity between bulbs....some are only rated "C" or lower while others are "A" (the best).

New quick start bulbs are hitting the market so the older ones are probably being sold off. If its bathrooms or utility I'd use the cheap ones, and keep the new "quick start" ones for living space

Not all energy-saving light bulbs are created equally. I was in Woodies last week and there is a wide disparity between bulbs....some are only rated "C" or lower while others are "A" (the best).

Every single Tesco bulb I have is 'A' rated, and I would not be surprised that with the size of Tesco the likes of Philips are making them under contract for them.

And its not just Tesco bulbs you get extra cheap in NI - I have often seen Philips bulbs in B&Q and Homebase on great deals like 3 for £1.

To resurrect this thread, and to answer some of the questions about whether they are good brand and 'A' rated, I was in Argos in NI the other day and on the counter they had this deal:

10 x 'A' Rated Philips branded 11w bulbs for ........ wait for it.......£1.

Couldn't beat that.

Is this sort of deal available at Argos in RoI? Its a disgrace if its not, although I suspect that some subsidising of the prices in the North is done by likes of Eon or other big energy suppliers.

How long does it take for these to get bright? Just stocked up on loads of 100W bulbs I spotted in a shop, almost getting a suntan in the kitchen :)

How long does it take for these to get bright? Just stocked up on loads of 100W bulbs I spotted in a shop, almost getting a suntan in the kitchen :)

I have found all mine tend to get to full brightness after about 1min or so. No longer.

Back