Questions specific to being a sole trader

Thank you for this.

Something which I cannot find anywhere is this -

Do I need to fill out some kind of form to become a sole trader? Or when I start selling something as an individual do I automatically become a sole trader?

If the latter is the case, what would my business number be? (Not my VAT number.)

Thank you.

Steve

If you are going to trade under your own name then you can just start selling - nothing more to do (apart from maybe VAT registration if required). You'll pay tax using your own PPS number. If you're going to trade under a business name you'll have to register that with the CRO for which you'll get a registration number, but again you'll pay tax using your own PPS number.

Just a related question out of interest...

If you are a sole trader with regsitered business name, do you pay tax through your pps number on all income or do get the chance to offset the appropriate expenses ?

Thanks,

D

You pay tax through your pps number on all income and you get the chance to offset the appropriate expenses.

DublinSteve said:
Thank you for this.

Something which I cannot find anywhere is this -

Do I need to fill out some kind of form to become a sole trader? Or when I start selling something as an individual do I automatically become a sole trader?

If the latter is the case, what would my business number be? (Not my VAT number.)

Thank you.

Steve
You need to fil in an STR or [broken link removed] depending on turnover. This will register you for the relevent tax headings.

Back