Questions about getting a Motorbike

cullenswood

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a motorbike to cut down on my daily commute. I just have a couple of questions regarding them, as I have never had one before....

What size engine should I buy and what would an estimated cost be (second hand)? (I was thinking of one around 125cc - the commute would be about 25 miles each way - Is this too big or small?)
Can I just get a provisional licence and apply for the test in the future?
How much would insurance cost?

I know these are very general questions but I would just like to get an idea of the costs to see if it is viable.

Thanks

its going to cost you a lot to get started.
Do not get a 125. You will grow out of a 125 in 6 months and overtaking anything on something that underpowered is dangerous. you will need 250 minimum for a 25 mile commute. I started with a 250 virago for a 20 miler. It went 70 mph max on the motorway and done the job for a while. 400 cc now and hoping to upgrade soon.
You will need to apply for an A licence and not an A1 and yes you can go out on the provisional.
By law you are restricted to a low powered bike up until you pass your test and then for 2 years. You can of course buy any bike you want and get a restrictor kit fitted but I would recommend just getting a 250 to start with.
You will need a helmet, boots, good gloves, leggings and a jacket. They are not cheap but get the best you can afford.
A second hand 250 will set you back around 2.5 to 3 grand i reckon. Check cbg.ie used bikes section for ideas.
You are going to get screwed with insurance and there is a choice of 3 expensive companies where you can get cover.

Bikes are great though, i have the bug now after a few years of it. Good luck!

Defo get the gear, the helmet is of course a no brainer but the horror stories of injuries by not having gear is dreadful, a simple spill off a bike ought not be too big a deal but without gloves one can be "degloved" (loss of skin from the hand region) not pretty eh.

Also get lessons if you are not a biker already, ask any biker, lessons are totally necesary and you will not regret it. Good luck agus bí Aire

BG

Lessons are a good idea for sure. I personally never got a lesson and learned on a quiet country road. Its up to yourself and your own confidence levels

Lessons?

I have been looking up motorbike lessons for the last couple of days.
I want to get a bike also but I have never ridden a bike. (I've wanted one for 15 years!!!!) So, I can't exactly go into a shop, buy a bike and ask someone to drive it home for me!!!

Anyone know off or have experience of motorcycle lessons in the Galway area??

Actually I did go into a shop and got the guy to ride it home for me!! Dublin area near Temple St. Hosp.

BG

I got a mate to drive my first bike home for me, then i learned how to ride it around the house for a bit.
Some bike shops deliver i think if you dont live too far away. There is also the option of getting a bike recovery company to pick it up for you and drop it off although not 100% sure on that.

Insurance
1. Hibernian (they do online quotes). They are very expensive and will not quote over the phone.
2. AON. the bikeshops can arrange insurance with these or you can call direct on 1890777555 (I only called them yesterday).
3. Carole Nash. The best option for me since day one.

Thats it, a choice of 3.
good luck

oh yes and if you want lessons then these guys should sort you out.
[broken link removed]

About 12% of all deaths on Irish roads are motorcyclists.

I understand that about 2% of all miles travelled on Irish roads are by motorcyclists. ( Figure the odds for yourself )

Get yourself all the gear and always use it

Get yourself training - dont think you know it

Develop nerves in your backside to tell you what the road surface is up to.

Be lucky

Stay lucky

Olddog

( ex biker, to old < scrub> not sharp enough to do it these days )

Definitely echo the sentiments about the gear & the training above.

I went from never having sat on a bike to passing my test on a (restricted) 600cc bike in 5 mths with the help of http://www.motorbiketraining.net/, and a little luck.

There's a motorcycle faq in the motoring forum on boards.ie links to some books as well.

Back