question on starting a lease

mark27

Hello

I am planning on leasing a unit and was wondering if anybody knows,how mush you would usually pay up front at the start,is it a months rent and a deposit or more .Also fees for rates and services ,are they pais by the month or up front also or at the end of the year

any helo woyld be greatly appreciated

Mark

Hello

I am planning on leasing a unit and was wondering if anybody knows,how mush you would usually pay up front at the start,is it a months rent and a deposit or more .Also fees for rates and services ,are they pais by the month or up front also or at the end of the year

any helo woyld be greatly appreciated

Mark

It depends on the landlord and the unit location.One of my client paid 3 month rent in advance. In relation to rates, you can pay directly to city council. You can set up a DD with them and they will take each month from your account.
Again services charge could be quarterly in advance or monthly payments.
It really depends how you negotiate the lease.

Mark, There are no hard and fast rules for this. Often it depends on a number of factors. The main one is how keen the landlord is to rent the property, i.e. has it been vacant for a while or are there a number of people keen to take the unit.

If the unit has been empty for a good while then often the landlord could be keen to get it let and might even be persuaded to throw in a few months rent free, if you don't ask you don't get. On the flipside if you are a new business with no track record then the landlord might be a bit wary and could quite likely ask for 3 months rent in advance.

It really depends on the specific situation but don't be afraid to haggle.

Good luck.

www.betterbusinessresults.com

Have someone with experience in this area read the lease. If it is over a long period watch out for liability for dilapidations etc. especially if it's an old building. The last thing you want to end up with is a bill to replace a asbestos roof or other structural work when your lease is up.

Back