Question - Building a home

Lambchops65

Hi there,

I'm still trying to decide if I should build a house or buy a detached house. What I have decided is that I'm selling the 1/2 homes I currently have and moving..:D...that decision has taken me months..lol

I've come across a site. The site states local demand needs and I live within the 10km so hopefully okay? The developer is actually selling 12 sites and a the planning is a mix of 3 house types (depending on which site you choose). General connections such as heat, water, broadband will be brought to gate of site by the builder.

I'm trying to ascertain roughly what my final costs may be. Obviously I'm aware that it totally depends on what type kitchen, tiles, flooring etc but a rough estimate...

Site Cost: €130,000
Stamp Duty: + 6%
Levies : €13,000 (approx)
What other fees and coats would I need to include as I have no clue?? Architects, engineers etc etc Thanks.
House: 233 m2 (2,500 sq ft) so what should I allow for good spec?? Approx €150 per sq foot? Site is in Kildare.

Any costings and direction would be appreciated. I just want to weigh up a final figure versus buying an already completed home.

Thanks.

I'm not a QS but have seen 2500+ /m2 for a normal enough finish on a few recent projects. Might also depend on what part of the country you're in.
Have also heard anecdotally that building materials have also recently seen quite a jump in prices due to Brexit.

Yep, to current building regulations about 2,500 per sq m for the build sounds about right as a starting point. So 466k, +/- 20% for your initial budget. And then flex based on standard of finish / construction method.

Price might be lower if you're far enough outside the Dublin area.

Personally, I'd pay a QS a few hundred to give you a better idea based on recent similar jobs.

You didn't mention anything about waste in services? Is there a connection to mains?

Include 12k for architect, engineer, planning, legal, insurance.

You might need to pay extra to connect to services, water, electric, etc. I know where I am a water connection is over 2k now.

I've no idea what the local needs criteria are like in the area, but don't assume it'll be straight forward. Particularly as you already own a house.

Really advise getting a qs to advise when so much money involved. They definitely pay for themselves. I have just built a high spec. House at 2k per metre with help of a qs advise on all ways of saving.

Really advise getting a qs to advise when so much money involved.
Fully agree.

House at 2k per metre with help of a qs advise on all ways of saving.
For the benefit of OP, location is very important here. I understand your house was in Cork? While Cork city isn't the cheapest place in the country to build, if the OP is close to Dublin (which Kildare is), labour rates are very different from Cork, and push prices up significantly.

sorry was trying to direct reply but can’t work it. How I got my house built was we got the qs to do a bill of quantities and we went to formal tender. We got 3 serious ones back. Picked the best 2 and then got the qs to negotiate with the builders. Both had good reputation. We put in pc sums for windows, wood floors, doors, kitchen, heating system etc. We went out and got the best prices for these having consulted qs and the builder we chose. Then all the builders claims went through the qs and he made sure everything was controlled and fair. On the initial negotiation we managed to get the costs down by changing a few things and even the builder came up with some good ideas. So in summary, we did not have the knowledge to deal with such a big expenditure but found the qs really was the man we relied on to manage costs. There is no magic formula and you have to shop around for value, for instance we went for an IKEA kitchen in the end and are delighted with it and a lot better value. We did add silestone counter. It is important to get references for your builder and get one who will work with you and be fair and not trying to rip you off. The qs means they know that all work will be valued by a professional so no messing.

Fully agree.

For the benefit of OP, location is very important here. I understand your house was in Cork? While Cork city isn't the cheapest place in the country to build, if the OP is close to Dublin (which Kildare is), labour rates are very different from Cork, and push prices up significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Interesting. 2,500 per sm is a lot, 2,000 I could probably manage. I'll need to have a think about it. Appreciate all the feedback.

I’d make sure you satisfy the local needs criteria before spending a penny.

it appears that you’ve already owned a property, so that may exclude you from the scheme.

Back