question about unemployment allowance

maggiemay07

Hi, I am returning to Ireland from London in 2 wks with my 3yr old daughter. My partner will be joining us in about 5 months as he has to give 6mnths notice in work.
we are going to be renting a house which we have already sorted.
While I am looking for work is it fair to say I can claim unemployment assistance/benefit?
My partner will be able to pay the rent on the house but thats about it as he still has to pay rent & bills here.
Will my application be means tested and how does it work that he is paying the rent?
Will this be deducted from benefit amount?

The new, correct name of the allowance you are talking about is Jobseeker's Allowance. This is means-tested and your partner's income will be counted. The fact that he is paying the rent for you will not make any difference. You can claim Child Benefit when you move here. When your husband comes. You should look at www.welfare.ie for further information. Also have a look at the "Habitual Residents Condition" to make sure you qualify to claim.

If you are eligible for the equivalent to unemployment benefit (e.g. jobseeker's benefit, arbeitslosengeld etc) in one european (at least, EU15) country it is possible to transfer it to another EU15 country for up to 13 weeks.

You have to be claiming the benefit for at least 4 weeks in the first country and there may be other terms and conditions.

Last edited:
thanks and I read the Habitual Residents Condition bit but havent a clue what its on about :confused:
I am orginally from Cork, been in the UK since 2000 and worked all that time.
What sort of info do I need when making a claim?
I wont have a bill in my name for awhile untill things get changed over.
Sorry for all the q's. new to this

If you are eligible for the equivalent to unemployment benefit (e.g. jobseeker's benefit, arbeitslosengeld etc) in one european (at least, EU15) country it is possible to transfer it to another EU15 country for up to 13 weeks.

You have to be claiming the benefit for at least 4 weeks in the first country and there may be other terms and conditions.

I have never claimed benefits anywhere.I am currrently working and will do so until the day before I leave the uk.

Your UK National Insurance payments may be taken into account when applying for PRSI linked benefits such as Jobseekers Benefit. When signing on you normally need your most recent P60 (?) and/or P45. I presume that the UK equivalents will do? Can you not arrange a job beforehand to avoid signing on at all?

You're Ok then ("Persons who have lived in other parts of the Common Travel Area (The Republic of Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area. The other parts of the Common Travel Area consist of Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) two years or more and then move to Ireland with the intention of settling here are quite likely to satisfy the habitual residence condition".....quote from the website.

When making a claim, you'll need a long version of your birth cert and photo id (passport, driving licence). Proof of address can be done by getting landlord to stamp a letter that SW will give you. Dontaskme is right regarding the transfer of GB benefit but you'd need to be signing for four weeks beforehand adn when it runs out (after 78 days/13 weeks0, you'll have to try for JA).

You have to have at least one PRSI contribution paid in Ireland to transfer your UK contribution record. In other words, if you work a week here and then get laid off, you can be paid JB based on your UK record.

Your UK National Insurance payments may be taken into account when applying for PRSI linked benefits such as Jobseekers Benefit. When signing on you normally need your most recent P60 (?) and/or P45. I presume that the UK equivalents will do? Can you not arrange a job beforehand to avoid signing on at all?

I am trying to arrange a job, I have submitted my cv to various agencies and companies around Cork but I think they are put off with the UK address - even though I have submitted a covering letter explaining of when I will be available from. I will chase this up on Friday as I finish work early.
I also have childcare arranged for the start of May but can go earlier if needed.
I am determined to get a job but just need to get a foot in there.....

You have to have at least one PRSI contribution paid in Ireland to transfer your UK contribution record. In other words, if you work a week here and then get laid off, you can be paid JB based on your UK record.

thanks but fingers crossed I get something that lasts longer than a week;)

Your difficulty will be managing to live in the first weeks when you get over here/before you get a job. even if you qualify for some monies on JA, the means test will take up to six weeks proabably. You say your hubby wont be able to support you other than rent so your fate will be in the hands of the Community Welfare Officer at your local Health Centre. They can pay Supplementary Welfare Allowance (kinda emergency weekly payment) while you are awaiting a decision on JA and may be able to help with Rent Supplement. it all depends on how you present your case and you'll need to provide prove of hubby's outgoings if at all possible.! Be prepared and bring thsese with you (payslip of hubby, mortgage statement, etc) if you're going down that road!

6 wks!! God thats a long time. I do have a bit of savings that I was hoping to put away for a rainy day....looks like rain now!
We will be renting for awhile and my partner (not married) will be moving in with his sis so will be paying her rent which he cant prove!
THe rent on the house is E900 a month which will be going.
He cant really afford to give us anymore as he is trying to clear a loan before coming over.
This isnt really looking good

Back