Question about insurance quotes

Petal

Guys, just a couple of questions. Just checked a couple of webpages to get quotes on life/mortgage protection and house-insurance. From what I gathered offer the best deals. What I got quoted was

House insurance (buildings cover 150K, Contents 20K, No acc. damage, claims excess 500, unspec. items 2K) - 200/year

Mortgage protection - joint cover, both smokers, special offer 384.37 for 12 months cover in advance. Normally ~770 per year.

Are these normal rates? I would have expected the house insurance to be more...

Many thanks for all your help...

Is the cover discounted for year 1? Ask them. In all likelihood it is, but even then, you don't say where in the country you are located, so they could be normal rates for rural areas.

As an aside, €770 for a year is around twice as high as you would pay if you were non-smokers. This isn't a lecture, just an observation.

Well, it says special offer, otherwise it is 770. It is undersigned by Hibernian, which separately quote much higher....
And I know about the smoking thing... don't really smoke, only have a couple when I have a pint... but that still counts as being a smoker.

And it's in Dublin 12...

No, what I meant is have they discounted the home insurance cover?

We pay €90 for contents only with FBD, so I guess €200 looks reasonable for rebuild and contents (just ensure that the rebuild cover is sufficient).

Oh the house insurance. It didn't say really. I went on the FBD site as well and checked there and got the same quote, again it didn't say anything about a discount. And re the rebuilt, I went with the recommendations of the Irish chartered surveyors and also checked it out on primafinance. I've added on an extra 20K to those recommendations, which came out at about 150K (for a 2-bed ex-council house, which feels about right).

I have also found that 123.ie are very reasonable, but the only problem is they do not quote incl accidental damage cover etc. it's like ryanair for insurance! I personally don't think it's worth taking out an insurance policy with out accidental damage cover. (it covers things like spilling a tin of paint on the carpet, coal jumping out of the fire and burning your rug, the kids at the top of the road putting a football through your window)

123.ie do offer accidental damage as an option on their quote form.

As it happens I specifically dropped accidental damage from our policy last renewal as I reckoned that it was handier to "self insure" for relatively minor events such as those described above. The chances of us needing to claim on the accidental damage clause are slim (based on our last 10 years in the house), the excess would mean that we would be footing part of the bill ourselves anyway and any claim would most likely affect future premiums. Personally I generally don't consider accidental damage cover worth it in most cases.

Coincidentally, my parents once spilled a full tin of paint on their carpet and managed to clean it immediately leaving the carpet none the worse for it.

Petal said:
don't really smoke, only have a couple when I have a pint... but that still counts as being a smoker.

i wouldnt count that, and if it ever came to it, whats to say it isnt passive

Back