Wrong forum Query re car park in Clane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sim Two

There’s a car park in Clane just off the main street where you enter it on the right hand side of the road and similarly emerge driving on the right hand side of the road.

If an accident took place at the entrance i.e a motorist not knowing about the unusual set-up and attempting to enter the car-park on the left-hand side of the road crashed with a car emerging from the car park, who would be at fault?

Would the law of the land supersede the “local” car-park arrangement?

That particular car park has been around for years. I was amazed they got planning permission for it. I don't understand the rationale for the driving system.

I suspect the owners/operators of the car park would be liable. The law of the land would trump any landowners rules.

It is a bizarre layout. Why did they set it up that way?

It's private property, the fact that you enter 'wrong side' is irrelevant so long as the owner has signed this correctly and adequately, it's not his problem as the law does not prohibit such set ups and occasionally traffic drives on the right in nominally left side driving countries.

I'd imagine if there are signs up saying "exit only" or "no entry" then the driver attempting to enter this way would be liable and their ins. company would settle with or without their consent (subrogation).

Actually, if you are approaching from the main street particularly coming from the Naas side it is very poorly signed and a motorist unfamiliar with the area and set-up could easily turn into the path of an exiting car. Coming down from the Maynooth side you have a better view and you can see the wrong side set up easily.

I am amazed that Kildare County Council allowed this set up to exist.

Sounds like the owner could be held liable if it's so poorly signed. As usual in Ireland, nobody will do anything until there's a serious accident.

Sounds like the owner could be held liable if it's so poorly signed. As usual in Ireland, nobody will do anything until there's a serious accident.

So let us know what happens after you have contacted the owners, talked to the council etc :)

Please post in the correct forum/subforum. Askaboutlaw is for discussing legal issues not covered else where on AAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back